Passed and DONE. Thank you Coach, all!

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Passed and DONE. Thank you Coach, all!

Postby arearcher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 am

I'm so relieved to be done! Now all I need is to file my paperwork with my state and wait. I have my life back!

I gave myself 1 month to prep for the retake.
1. Kaplan chapters, quizzes, and tests.
2. Amber notes from 1st attempt when I had video access. Amber book.
3. MEEB. If I could only pick 1 source for this exam this would be it. If you don't want to read it at least study the diagrams. Some diagrams from past editions of MEEB are omitted in the latest edition. They're all fair game for the exam though. MEEB goes more in depth than any of the other sources and was vital to answering some very obscure questions on my retake. I also took the MEEB quizzes. Don't stress too much of you don't do well on them. Some of them aren't easy.
4. Ballast chapters, practice test and exam. I skimmed the math. Amber simplifies it better. Keep in mind what formulas NCARB provides for the exam and practice with those. That being said, two of their formulas seem off (R = x / k?). Amber says one of the acoustics ones is simplified incorrectly by NCARB (either TR or NR?).
5. Archiflash during my commute and whenever I left too burnt out to read.
6. 5yrs work experience. 4 for an architect, about 1 for a CM in a design-assist environment.
7. Coach video. I agree with all his points but chose to play it safe and not use a light as a 3rd side of support for a return air grille.
8. NCARB videos. Not really useful but I wanted to watch just in case.
9. Google + community to cross check all the BS you have to watch out for on the vignette with the NCARB mods.
10. Practicing the vignettes and posting on here. Pay close attention to the program and lighting diagrams. The 3.1 alt with 4.0 program helps. I think the Sajjad plan alternate would also be useful to practice with.

I printed several MEEB and Kaplan chapters, highlighting anything I didn't know with certainty. Next I rewrote those notes so I wouldn't have to refer back to Ballast/Kaplan after the initial read. By the end I had consolidated notes from all my sources.
arearcher

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS