Vignette Level 3 fail

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette Level 3 fail

Postby glitterpetal723 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi all, I did the Amber seminar and passed all the categories with Level 1 but failed the vignette and code and regulation at level 3! Any idea what would cause a level three fail on these sections? I thought these two would be the ones I didn't need to worry about because I felt really confident. I'm so surprised I passed all the other categories and failed these two.
glitterpetal723

Re: Vignette Level 3 fail

Postby arearcher » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7634
This may also help
https://www.ncarb.org/blog/are-insights-faqs-part-ii

No idea to be honest. I failed last time because of a Level 2 vignette and can't figure out what I did wrong after a month of obsessive searching. If I had to guess I probably had inadequate spacing between supply and return, ran rigid over a return air grille, or made a mistake with the accent lighting.

Next time you're checking your solution go back and carefully read both the program and lighting diagrams in case they changed the rules from what you're used to practicing.

Here's what I've found the NCARB Google + moderator +Nick NCARB post:
-Don't use the end of the light as the 3rd side of support for a return air grille.
-Stop the rigid duct at your last flex duct connection.
-Don't run rigid duct over a return or supply air grille.
-Stagger the diffusers and return air grilles around the rooms to "promote air flow".
-Rigid duct can turn inside a shaft but don't branch it inside the shaft.

This is taken from sbyrktct's website
Common Mistakes:
1. Inadequate separation between supply & return.
2. Return grilles not supported on 3 sides by the grid. They’ll fall out. Do not assume the software is smart enough to place grid on the 4th side of a 2x2 light.
3. Incorrect light spacing. Read the lighting charts carefully. The current NCARB passing solution (2009) shows incorrect light spacing in the Architect’s Office.
4. Connect the flex duct to the center of diffusers, not the edge.
5. Grid overlapping ceiling elements.
6. Rigid duct crossing joists when not within 2’ of a beam or bearing wall.
7. More than one rigid duct for each riser. Adding an extra damper wastes money.
arearcher

Re: Vignette Level 3 fail

Postby glitterpetal723 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:24 pm

arearcher wrote:http://arecoach.com/coachforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7634
This may also help
https://www.ncarb.org/blog/are-insights-faqs-part-ii

No idea to be honest. I failed last time because of a Level 2 vignette and can't figure out what I did wrong after a month of obsessive searching. If I had to guess I probably had inadequate spacing between supply and return, ran rigid over a return air grille, or made a mistake with the accent lighting.

Next time you're checking your solution go back and carefully read both the program and lighting diagrams in case they changed the rules from what you're used to practicing.

Here's what I've found the NCARB Google + moderator +Nick NCARB post:
-Don't use the end of the light as the 3rd side of support for a return air grille.
-Stop the rigid duct at your last flex duct connection.
-Don't run rigid duct over a return or supply air grille.
-Stagger the diffusers and return air grilles around the rooms to "promote air flow".
-Rigid duct can turn inside a shaft but don't branch it inside the shaft.

This is taken from sbyrktct's website
Common Mistakes:
1. Inadequate separation between supply & return.
2. Return grilles not supported on 3 sides by the grid. They’ll fall out. Do not assume the software is smart enough to place grid on the 4th side of a 2x2 light.
3. Incorrect light spacing. Read the lighting charts carefully. The current NCARB passing solution (2009) shows incorrect light spacing in the Architect’s Office.
4. Connect the flex duct to the center of diffusers, not the edge.
5. Grid overlapping ceiling elements.
6. Rigid duct crossing joists when not within 2’ of a beam or bearing wall.
7. More than one rigid duct for each riser. Adding an extra damper wastes money.

this was super helpful! thank you so much
glitterpetal723

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS