3.1 Vignette Attempt - Retake next Monday (Lvl2 Vign)

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

3.1 Vignette Attempt - Retake next Monday (Lvl2 Vign)

Postby arearcher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I chose the reception/work area for the accent lighting. I used the 3.1 program so the accent lights are incandescents in the software. I watched Coach's video a few weeks ago, skimmed my notes from then and drew this in ~40min. I liked that he explains the common sense reason why he concludes certain things about the vignette. Lighting in 3.1 program: 2x2s have 6'x6' coverage. 2x4s have 6'x8' coverage.

1. In the exam room, I think the supply and return too close to each other.
2. Are accent lighting levels too high in reception? Particularly that middle light.
3. Lighting levels: Lab overlit, Office underlit, Reception over and underlit, Waiting Area overlit, Exam Rooms overlit.
4. The diffusers and lights on the North side of the exam room, East side of the Reception, and East side of the Office are 8" off the wall. I wonder whether all those small dings together are what caused my fail last time.
5. Do you think the layout in the Waiting Area provided uniform air distribution?

I chose to play it safe with the return grilles and make sure they're covered by 3 sides of the grid. I know you can install them the other way, but an NCARB mod said they wouldn't recommend it which got me to question whether the computer program was sophisticated enough to distinguish between a grid edge and a light edge.

I plan on posting another try with a T-shaped rigid duct layout to see if I can do it. I wasn't satisfied with the lighting levels and proximity of the objects to the walls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arearcher on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arearcher

Re: 3.1 Vignette Attempt - Retake next Monday (Lvl2 Vign)

Postby arearcher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Second shot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arearcher

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:28 pm

arearcher wrote:Lighting in 3.1 program: 2x2s have 6'x6' coverage. 2x4s have 6'x8' coverage.

The lighting diagrams changed in 4.0 and that's probably what you'll see on the exam.

1. In the exam room, I think the supply and return too close to each other.

They are too close in both exam rooms.

2. Are accent lighting levels too high in reception? Particularly that middle light.

They should be evenly spaced.

3. Lighting levels: Lab overlit, Office underlit, Reception over and underlit, Waiting Area overlit, Exam Rooms overlit.

None of that is true but 2x2s will work better in large exam.

4. The diffusers and lights on the North side of the exam room, East side of the Reception, and East side of the Office are 8" off the wall. I wonder whether all those small dings together are what caused my fail last time.

12" min is better but that's fine.

5. Do you think the layout in the Waiting Area provided uniform air distribution?

Good enough.

Likely passing as shown, but not with new lighting diagrams.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby arearcher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Thank you. I have a follow up question.

arearcher wrote:

None of that is true but 2x2s will work better in large exam.

I don't understand the program then. Wouldn't the areas highlighted in magenta, green, and cyan be overlit? The lights in those areas are 8" or 1'-0" from the walls and their throw is 2'-0". Or since the program states I should minimize over/underlighting and the rooms in the vignette won't fit the lighting diagrams perfectly you're simply looking to avoid unreasonable over/underlighting?

Lighting layouts should be efficient and should minimize overlighting and underlighting.
1. For all spaces, use only recessed fluorescent fixtures to provide uniform light distribution with a light level of approximately 50 footcandles measured at desk level (3 ft above the finished floor)

arearcher

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Don't waste your time and energy with rectangles (or circles for that matter -- except for accents). Draw grid first and just space the lighting per diagrams.
It will never be perfect. Choose the best layout (always with the correct spacing) that minimizes over/under lighting.
Max spacing to wall = diagram + 12". (do not consider this underlighting.)
Try to keep lights 12" min from walls.
There are only 8 possible layouts per room per fixture size.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS