BS Vignette - 1st Attempt, Please Comment?

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

BS Vignette - 1st Attempt, Please Comment?

Postby SDTK » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:11 pm

BS-Vignette---Attempt-01.jpg

Hi,
Thank you for any review and criticisms. Attached is my first attempt after watching some tutorials and analyzing other attempts. Over the course of this attempt, I've developed some questions as well:

1. In a situation like the lighting of the reception room, is there any deduction due to the fact that all walls are maybe 6-9 inches away from the 2' offset of the 2'x2' lights)? Are we not required to appropriately light the entire room?

2. How close can an accent light be drawn to any other element?

3. Can any duct be drawn directly above any light, and any return grill? I did not have to do this, but I would like to be prepared if I am stuck with this as an only option on test day.

4. What is the significance of the distance each light recedes into the ceiling (6", 9", etc)? Does the deeper accent light prevent a duct passing above?

5. How far past the last flex duct branch should a rigid duct be drawn? Should there be no extension in an effort to reduce wasted rigid duct?

6. What is the appropriate (preferred) layout of diffusers? Imagine a phone keypad for example, is it better to locate 3 diffusers on buttons #2, #5, #8, or for better spread should it be #1, #5, and #9?

7. Should return grill or diffusers be intentionally drawn away from doors?

8. Can a return grill and diffuser be within 4' of eachother, if they are in separate rooms? (I assume yes, but just want to clarify)

9. Can a duct be drawn directly below a joist line when it runs parralel to the joist? If not, how far away should it be drawn?

Thank you very much for any feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SDTK

Re: BS Vignette - 1st Attempt, Please Comment?

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:51 pm

SDTK wrote:1. In a situation like the lighting of the reception room, is there any deduction due to the fact that all walls are maybe 6-9 inches away from the 2' offset of the 2'x2' lights)? Are we not required to appropriately light the entire room?

Max distance to wall = diagram + 12".

2. How close can an accent light be drawn to any other element?

Just keep them off the grid.

3. Can any duct be drawn directly above any light, and any return grill?

Yes.

4. What is the significance of the distance each light recedes into the ceiling (6", 9", etc)? Does the deeper accent light prevent a duct passing above?

No.

5. How far past the last flex duct branch should a rigid duct be drawn? Should there be no extension in an effort to reduce wasted rigid duct?

No need to be hyper efficient. In fact, you should make sure that rigid layout covers the entire suite for flexibility, as required by program. What you have is fine.

6. What is the appropriate (preferred) layout of diffusers? Imagine a phone keypad for example, is it better to locate 3 diffusers on buttons #2, #5, #8, or for better spread should it be #1, #5, and #9?

Whatever it takes for good distribution. All one one side is fine.

7. Should return grill or diffusers be intentionally drawn away from doors?

Ignore doors and windows.

8. Can a return grill and diffuser be within 4' of eachother, if they are in separate rooms? (I assume yes, but just want to clarify)

Of course.

9. Can a duct be drawn directly below a joist line when it runs parralel to the joist?

Of course not!

If not, how far away should it be drawn?

Common sense. Just provide some space -- it's schematic.

In drafting, move SW return to east side and move supplies 4' west.
Conf and drafting lights don't look centered N-S.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby SDTK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank you, Coach. Much appreciated. I was not sure if in a large space, we want to space out the supply vents, and also the return grills (In a way that they are mixed throughout the room). It sounds like it is preferred however, by the program(?), to have all supply on one side of the room, and all return on the opposite side in a balanced fashion?
SDTK

Postby Coach » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Any pattern that provides good distribution will suffice. For most rooms (and probably any you'll see on the exam) placing supply on one side and return on the other is easiest and best. If it's a long room, that might mean the long sides.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS