BS EXAM recap

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

BS EXAM recap

Postby skysnowy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Hey all,

I took my exam in hongkong yesterday, just want to share a few tips with you all.
The MC portion was okay, well, I guess after taking the exam 2 times already I don't feel like anything would be too surprising. But MEEB is a must read, the last exam I took I only studied Amber seminar, and while it's very informative in a visual way, it's not enough at all. This time I read Kaplan, Jenny's notes, took the designerhack's practice exam (but don't really recommend this, as there are not enough questions in the question bank), MEEB (it's so informative, it basically covers everything in detail) So I would really recommend that if you are taking the exam, to give yourself time to read and then maybe take Amber as a supplement.

As for the Vignette, google+ is a great place to get feedback for vignette, this forum is great too but google's interface is more interactive therefore easier to use. I was very confident about my vignette and thought I checked everything out, until the last few minutes that I freaked out on the rigid duct placement (because I placed it within 2' of a non-bearing wall which has a beam running parallel to it) and raced to correct it. (by putting the rigid supply duct in front of a return supply duct, which in my opinion is not a good choice, but not sure if it's a fatal error), and then the last minute realized that I had missed the correct light spacing for the 2x4s in two rooms. This is probably a fatal error so now I am bracing myself for a fail.... =(

so, my two cents, make a list of things for the program and check them off during the vignette. and give particular attention to light spacing, overlighting and underlighting a space is ok, but not okay to have wrong spacing between lights... :oops:
skysnowy

Re: BS EXAM recap

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 pm

skysnowy wrote:As for the Vignette, google+ is a great place to get feedback for vignette,

Not as good as this forum.

this forum is great too but google's interface is more interactive therefore easier to use.

You've got to be kidding. G+ is a cluster F.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby skysnowy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi Coach,

No offense!!!! I just meant the because on google+, you can see the vignettes posts all at once. :D It's easier to scroll through and pick the one I am most interested in. Besides the cluster, is there any other reason that we should not use google+ as a source for vignette feedback?
skysnowy

Postby surfgirl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm

skysnowy wrote:until the last few minutes that I freaked out on the rigid duct placement (because I placed it within 2' of a non-bearing wall which has a beam running parallel to it) and raced to correct it. (by putting the rigid supply duct in front of a return supply duct, which in my opinion is not a good choice, but not sure if it's a fatal error)

I don't understand what you mean by this, can you explain?

Thanks
surfgirl

Postby skysnowy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 pm

I meant, because the program says that rigid duct should be placed within 2' of beam of bearing wall, that I got freaked out by my solution which places the rigid duct parallel to the window wall which has a beam. I questioned myself at that point if the rigid duct should be in the proximity of a bearing wall+beam combination instead, so I hastily changed my solution and rerouted the ducts to the bearing walls. :roll: I was so sure that I had overlooked a major mistake that at that moment I couldn't think straight but rushed to change it.....
skysnowy

Postby surfgirl » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

skysnowy: Oh I understand now, thanks for the clarification. I hoping you get a pass!!

Is there a handy way to determining which light fixtures to use for each space? It was described to me to see if the room is divisible by 6 or by 8 and use a 2x2 if divisible by divisible by 6 and a 2x4 if divisible by 8, but that just isn't really clicking in my brain and I seem to be wasting a lot of time fiddling around with light fixture sizes, layout and grid placement.

Any advice? Thanks
surfgirl

Postby Coach » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:36 am

skysnowy wrote:No offense!!!! I just meant the because on google+, you can see the vignettes posts all at once. :D It's easier to scroll through and pick the one I am most interested in. Besides the cluster, is there any other reason that we should not use google+ as a source for vignette feedback?

Higher quality feedback here and forum organization is much better than G+.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am

skysnowy wrote:I meant, because the program says that rigid duct should be placed within 2' of beam of bearing wall,

That's not what it says.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby skysnowy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Sorry, that was a typo. the program said "beam and bearing wall", not beam of bearing wall. :lol:
skysnowy

Postby pig » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 am

Coach is the best of the best of the best!!!!
Coach Coach Coach!!!!!
pig

Postby Coach » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:46 am

skysnowy wrote:Sorry, that was a typo. the program said "beam and bearing wall", not beam of bearing wall. :lol:

And that's not what I was referring to.

You're misreading, misinterpreting, or misunderstanding.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby skysnowy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:07 am

Hi Coach,
I went back to the NCARB sample vignette and re-read the programs, and also went through the passing/failing solutions again. I wanted to clarify that, the program does say "Rigid ducts fit under beams, in spaces between joists, and in a zone that extends 2 ft on either side of beams and bearing walls in plan view." And what caused my panic during the exam, was that I didn't read the plan carefully in the beginning to make sure it's bearing wall. I certainly don't mean to mislead anyone here, all my wanted to was to contribute a little bit to this forum...! I have personally used it during the years that I studied for the ARE exams and appreciate input from everyone here, and would love that if my personal mistakes or observations help others down the road. And thanks to coach for taking the time to respond... much appreciated!!!
skysnowy

Postby Coach » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 am

I am pressing you because you panicked on the exam for no reason and I think you're still misreading the program.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby MatthewMclarty » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 am

Question, our office has the 5th edition MEEB book. Is the information in the 5th Ed still valid for the BS MC Questions?
MatthewMclarty

Postby Lindalou84 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for the post. I hope you passed!!!
Lindalou84

Postby skysnowy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:54 am

I did pass...!!! =)
skysnowy

Postby Lindalou84 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Yayy!!! Congrats!
Lindalou84

Postby spike » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm

yay! congratulations!