Vignette LEVEL TWO FAIL

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette LEVEL TWO FAIL

Postby dsekerak » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 am

Hey all,

Was hoping to get this off my mind to better prepare myself for a retake. I received my first fail on these ARE's after going 6 for 6, so it looks like this process will go on a little longer. I'm wondering where to go for this vignette. Any idea what kind of errors add up to a level two failure? I had like 5 minutes left and checked everything I knew to be "major items" i.e. grids in every space, ducts parallel w/ joists except within 2' zone, recalculated diffuser numbers, checked radius of accent lights, inserted dampers. I felt like I had a sufficient lighting and that my solution was well thought out. I really don't know how to better prepare for this next one in a couple months. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone in the process!

dan
dsekerak

Re: Vignette LEVEL TWO FAIL

Postby arearcher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:14 pm

The same thing happened to me and I'm in the same boat as you. My guess is you've probably posted a vignette here, read the stickies, checked the NCARB vignette video, posted to the Google+ community, Sbyrktct's website, etc. and still haven't found an answer. For the most part I didn't find the advice from the NCARB moderators on the Google+ community helpful.

Honestly...I don't know. I'm buying Coach's video. I'll gladly pay $30 if it helps me pass this finicky throwback vignette that looks like it was developed in 1994. I've already used Amber to study and clearly did something wrong. I finished with ~20minutes and had time to make a checklist based on what I remembered from the Amber video and check against it and the program requirements twice.

Edit: I'd recommend Coach's video. I'm 75 minutes into his 1st video and he cleared up some uncertainty about four things on the exam, including debunking some misinformation I assumed based on how others on here have approached certain parts of the vignette. It starts slow. You'll be fine watching it at 1.5x speed.
Last edited by arearcher on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arearcher

Postby dsekerak » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:28 am

thanks AREarcher. I was planning on getting the coach video for retest. I have to wait until the end of sept now to take. Thanks for the advice. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one left in the dark. Best of luck on the next one. Hopefully coach's video will do the trick. On a side note, have you read any of the recommended study material from the NCARB exam guide? ie. ashrae fundamentals handbook, Heating cooling lighting: sustainable design methods for architects by wiley, MEEB, or Mechanical and electrical systems by Janis and Tao?
dsekerak

Postby arearcher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am

Dan, I own MEEB 12th edition (studied) and Heating Cooling Lighting by Lechner (didn't study). I also own student edition of Graphic Standards (9th ed) but I only skimmed it at best. I'm not planning to get Mechanical and Electrical Systems by Janis and Tao unless it does a more comprehensive job covering Fire Protection than MEEB.
arearcher

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS