2nd Fail :(

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

2nd Fail :(

Postby Lindalou84 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:16 am

I used Amber both times and failed. I did well on all but 2 sections (Electrical - Level 3 & Specialties - Level 2). Oddly, I did better on Electrical on my first attempt so thought I would only improve by round 2. Really beating myself up over this :( I felt so confident I did well on the MC portion.

Any input on how to strengthen those areas? I don't want to pay for Amber again since it did not work for me. I used Ballast and Kaplan as secondary sources, mainly for the practice Qs but have been doing well on those (getting 80% and over). I also used Archiflash but I felt like all of the flash cards were concepts I already knew so I stopped and focused more on the Kaplan/Ballast Qs.

Maybe I'll look more closely at MEEB - used that mainly for Mechanical and Lighting. Didn't get through all of Jenny's notes - maybe that will help too.

Any input or words of inspiration are much appreciated. This is literally making me sick to my stomach at this point.
Thank you.
Lindalou84

Re: 2nd Fail :(

Postby gbalaka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 am

So are you saying that both times, you only primarily watched the Amber videos and did little reading?

I personally did not use Amber at all (just the few free videos on the website). I used Kaplan and ARE Exam Prep as my main sources to understand the main concepts along with random YouTube videos and Google searches. I only referred to Ballast for areas that I was not understanding as Ballast goes into WAY more detail.

When it came to the practice exams, i used Kaplan, Ballast, ARE Exam Prep, Designer Hacks, the NCARB practice exam questions and the black spectacles free videos on YouTube. The key is to be very persistent and to keep at it every single day until exam day.

No matter how many practice questions you go through, they'll never quite prepare you for what's actually on the exam (as you know by now). I personally studies the crap out of the psychrometric chart and did not even get a single question about that. I've known people who got many questions about that.

The very fact that you've taken the exam should have given you some ideas on what to study upon for a retake right? Have you dug a little deeper ever since?
gbalaka

Postby Lindalou84 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:54 am

I primarily watched the videos (2-3x for each test) and read sections of Kaplan in areas that were unclear, along with MEEB. I used google and youtube too, wherever something else was unclear.
Just frustrated bc I was doing well on practice exams and felt very confident about knowing the material.

I agree about the persistence. I study M-Th for 3hrs each and Sat/Sun 4-8hrs each. Two weeks before exam day I include Fridays. I literally cannot be more persistent than that without sacrificing my job or health :/

I dug deeper after the first time. I just found out my score the other day so I have not had a chance to go farther this time around. I also have personal obstacles approaching in the coming weeks which doesn't help - was counting on a pass this time around. I'm looking to retake in September, I just hate having to put life on hold to get through all of this.

I'll look into those materials you mentioned. Thank you!
Lindalou84

Postby gbalaka » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:09 am

Lindalou84 wrote:I primarily watched the videos (2-3x for each test) and read sections of Kaplan in areas that were unclear, along with MEEB. I used google and youtube too, wherever something else was unclear.
Just frustrated bc I was doing well on practice exams and felt very confident about knowing the material.

I agree about the persistence. I study M-Th for 3hrs each and Sat/Sun 4-8hrs each. Two weeks before exam day I include Fridays. I literally cannot be more persistent than that without sacrificing my job or health :/

I dug deeper after the first time. I just found out my score the other day so I have not had a chance to go farther this time around. I also have personal obstacles approaching in the coming weeks which doesn't help - was counting on a pass this time around. I'm looking to retake in September, I just hate having to put life on hold to get through all of this.

I'll look into those materials you mentioned. Thank you!

I totally feel your frustration. I recently took the CSE and did not pass after studying A LOT for several months (i'm taking multiple hours a day and weekends - just like you). It's very frustrating to go in very well prepared and to then get that fail score.

In all honesty, it may just come down to the type of test you get on exam day. I was very upset with myself for a few days - now I can care less. Best part is that i'm not stressing and i'll just retake it again when the time comes. In the meantime - enjoy the summer!

But back to your situation, if this will be of any help, these are my own flashcards that I made when I took the BS exam.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke72z4xlg0pnl ... E.pdf?dl=0

You are probably already very familiar with most of the information, but who knows - maybe something new will pop up. Don't stress too much over this. I think the face that this is your last exam is putting extra pressure on you. You can do it!

Best of luck on the retake!
gbalaka

Postby Lindalou84 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you!
Yes - it has a lot to do with it being the last one that makes it all the more frustrating :/ I felt like I tasted freedom for one weekend before my score came in. I hadn't felt that good in over 2 years before all this started :p

Thank you so much for your help!
Lindalou84

Postby tonybueno2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:53 am

Don't beat yourself up about it!

These exams are hard and frustrating. One thing I have decided to do is to go over all the diagrams in HVAC, Electrical, and Plumbing in MEEB. I have also started to record and listen to highlights I've read in chapters including questions I got wrong on questions and practice exams - somehow get it into my long term memory. I've got til August 26th with a couple of weddings and a week of traveling home, but it doesn't matter as I have to spend each day studying because I know myself and the time I need to put in... Aargh.

Sending you good vibes.
tonybueno2

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:16 am

I found MEEB to be very beneficial. I also watch videos on you tube for the mechanical systems. It helped explain them a lot.
alexwilkosz24

Postby kjkenan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

I feel your pain, I am didn't PASS the first few times either. I am now trying AMBER, but am sticking with MEEB and Jenny notes. The thing is nothing I've studied was on the test, so its more jsy keeping your mind ready. I am praying that I PASS this time. But this time I'm not going to stress. Its only a test and many have passed, so will you! keep at it. I will let you know how I do this next time I take it. But don't stop, keep going, I know people who have taken BS 4 times before they passed. Its really the bank of questions you get. Again don't stop until you receive a PASS on the exam. You will get it. Be Blessed.
kjkenan

Postby Lindalou84 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement. I will focus more on MEEB like you said.
Only have 3 more shots before 4.0 is retired :cry: so getting a little worried but hoping the next one will be a pass. I appreciate the good vibes!
Lindalou84

Postby introversed » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:02 pm

One of the things I would advise with the MEEB book: go through the diagrams for the various MEP systems, and copy them - redraw the diagrams on a piece of paper/sketchbook, and label all the parts too. I would advise doing it "by system", which means if you're drawing a plumbing riser diagram, start by drawing the entire waste pipe system, then go back and add the entire vent pipe system to it, etc.

The act of drawing from observation, whether its from a book or from a scene in front of you, requires you to mentally process every single thing you're drawing. Doing this with diagrams in ARE study guides (and MEEB) has helped my memory recall tremendously, plus you also end up with a nice collection of sketches you can reference later.

It's also a great way to test your knowledge as you go along in your studies. If you can quiz yourself by drawing a diagram, it means you know the material.
introversed

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS