BS - Vignette - first pass and many questions!

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

BS - Vignette - first pass and many questions!

Postby AMSinger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am

Hello! Testing next week and this is my first pass at the vignette. I somehow found this one more tricky than the stair or ramp. I am not sure my solution for the Architect's Office is acceptable. I also have a few specific questions that I have listed blow. Any feedback is much appreciated (and much needed). Thanks!

1) Return diffuser must be supported on 3 sides. Can it be supported at a tile termination where a cut tile meets the wall?

2) When flex duct branches off at the termination of a rigid duct run, can they meet at a 90 degree corner or does the rigid duct need to extend beyond the flex a click or two? See condition in Architect's Office and File Room.

3) Conflicts: can flex or rigid duct pass over light fixtures if they need to? Or would you make another turn of rigid to maneuver around the light fixture?

4) Accent Lights: do we need make sure they're not too close to the edge of a tile? i.e. do we need to consider the material might crack or crumble if a light is cut too close to an edge?

5) Diffuser Placement: these are 4-way (or drawn like that). Does this mean we should try not to place them in corners or too close to a wall?

6) Flex Duct: program says flex duct cannot supply more than one diffuser. Does this mean branching two flex runs off of a rigid but in opposite (180 degrees)directions as I've shown it in the File Room/ Reception branch?

7) Accent Lights: I'm soooo confused by these. The program state we need 80fc at the space on the wall between the fixtures. This means the sketch circle with 2' diameters need to overlap significantly so as to get an even 80fc on the wall? This puts them very close to the wall. I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly.

Apologies for this lengthy post but I'm a bit concerned here. I usually find the vignettes straightforward, sometimes tricky but straightforward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMSinger

Re: BS - Vignette - first pass and many questions!

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 am

AMSinger wrote:Hello! Testing next week and this is my first pass at the vignette. I somehow found this one more tricky than the stair or ramp. I am not sure my solution for the Architect's Office is acceptable. I also have a few specific questions that I have listed blow. Any feedback is much appreciated (and much needed). Thanks!

1) Return diffuser must be supported on 3 sides. Can it be supported at a tile termination where a cut tile meets the wall? Do not place grilles, diffusers or lights against walls.

2) When flex duct branches off at the termination of a rigid duct run, can they meet at a 90 degree corner or does the rigid duct need to extend beyond the flex a click or two? See condition in Architect's Office and File Room. It doesn't matter.

3) Conflicts: can flex or rigid duct pass over light fixtures if they need to? Yes.Or would you make another turn of rigid to maneuver around the light fixture? No.

4) Accent Lights: do we need make sure they're not too close to the edge of a tile? No. i.e. do we need to consider the material might crack or crumble if a light is cut too close to an edge? No.

5) Diffuser Placement: these are 4-way (or drawn like that). Does this mean we should try not to place them in corners or too close to a wall? See #1

6) Flex Duct: program says flex duct cannot supply more than one diffuser. Does this mean branching two flex runs off of a rigid but in opposite (180 degrees)directions as I've shown it in the File Room/ Reception branch? Draw them separately.

7) Accent Lights: I'm soooo confused by these. The program state we need 80fc at the space on the wall between the fixtures. This means the sketch circle with 2' diameters need to overlap significantly so as to get an even 80fc on the wall? This puts them very close to the wall. I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Go here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1610

Apologies for this lengthy post but I'm a bit concerned here. I usually find the vignettes straightforward, sometimes tricky but straightforward.

2x4 lights are incorrectly spaces. Use BOTH lighting charts for 2x4 lights.
Incorrectly spaced accent lights. Leave sketch elements on when posting so we can see how you solved it.
Diffuser too close to the wall in the studio, conference room, and reception.
Sparky83

Postby AMSinger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:14 am

THANK YOU [color=#0040FF]@SPARKY83, A COUPLE OF FOLLOW UP CLARIFICATIONS FOR YOU--IF YOU DON'T MIND:[/color]

Sparky83 wrote:
AMSinger wrote:Hello! Testing next week and this is my first pass at the vignette. I somehow found this one more tricky than the stair or ramp. I am not sure my solution for the Architect's Office is acceptable. I also have a few specific questions that I have listed blow. Any feedback is much appreciated (and much needed). Thanks!

1) Return diffuser must be supported on 3 sides. Can it be supported at a tile termination where a cut tile meets the wall? Do not place grilles, diffusers or lights against walls.

2) When flex duct branches off at the termination of a rigid duct run, can they meet at a 90 degree corner or does the rigid duct need to extend beyond the flex a click or two? See condition in Architect's Office and File Room. It doesn't matter.

3) Conflicts: can flex or rigid duct pass over light fixtures if they need to? Yes.Or would you make another turn of rigid to maneuver around the light fixture? No.

4) Accent Lights: do we need make sure they're not too close to the edge of a tile? No. i.e. do we need to consider the material might crack or crumble if a light is cut too close to an edge? No.

5) Diffuser Placement: these are 4-way (or drawn like that). Does this mean we should try not to place them in corners or too close to a wall? See #1

6) Flex Duct: program says flex duct cannot supply more than one diffuser. Does this mean branching two flex runs off of a rigid but in opposite (180 degrees)directions as I've shown it in the File Room/ Reception branch? Draw them separately.

I DREW THEM SEPARATELY SO THEY'RE TWO SEPARATE LINES EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK LIKE ONE. ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS OK OR ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULD MOVE ONE OF THE DIFFUSERS SO THE TWO LINES ARE OFFSET?

7) Accent Lights: I'm soooo confused by these. The program states we need 80fc at the space on the wall between the fixtures. This means the sketch circle with 2' diameters need to overlap significantly so as to get an even 80fc on the wall? This puts them very close to the wall. I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Go here:
SEE LINK BELOW FOR EXPLANATION I USED AS A REFERENCE...

http://www.arecoach.com/coachforum/view ... f=9&t=1610

IS 6' BETWEEN THE LONG SIDES (RATHER THAN 4') WHAT YOU MEAN? IN THIS SENSE, THE CENTER OF THE ROOM IS OVER LIT, BUT IS THIS WRONG? I FIGURED IT WAS BETTER TO OVER LIGHT RATHER THAN UNDER LIGHT SINCE IT IS AN ARCHITECT'S OFFICE. ALSO, DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO GET THE CORRECT SPACING BETWEEN THE FIXTURES AND LET THE DISTANCES BETWEEN THE FIXTURES AND THE WALLS PICK UP THE SLACK? LASTLY, IS THE SPACING BETWEEN THE SHORT SIDES IS CORRECT AT 4'?

Incorrectly spaced accent lights. Leave sketch elements on when posting so we can see how you solved it.
I READ THIS: [deleted]
WHICH SEEMS CONSISTENT WITH HOW I SPACED THEM. PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM MISSING SOMETHING MAJOR HERE.
THANKS AGAIN-

AMSinger

Postby AMSinger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:56 am

AMSinger wrote:THANK YOU [color=#0040FF]@SPARKY83, A COUPLE OF FOLLOW UP CLARIFICATIONS FOR YOU--IF YOU DON'T MIND:[/color]

Sparky83 wrote:

I DREW THEM SEPARATELY SO THEY'RE TWO SEPARATE LINES EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK LIKE ONE. ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS OK OR ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULD MOVE ONE OF THE DIFFUSERS SO THE TWO LINES ARE OFFSET?

7) Accent Lights: I'm soooo confused by these. The program states we need 80fc at the space on the wall between the fixtures. This means the sketch circle with 2' diameters need to overlap significantly so as to get an even 80fc on the wall? This puts them very close to the wall. I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly. Go here:

IS 6' BETWEEN THE LONG SIDES (RATHER THAN 4') WHAT YOU MEAN? IN THIS SENSE, THE CENTER OF THE ROOM IS OVER LIT, BUT IS THIS WRONG? I FIGURED IT WAS BETTER TO OVER LIGHT RATHER THAN UNDER LIGHT SINCE IT IS AN ARCHITECT'S OFFICE. ALSO, DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO GET THE CORRECT SPACING BETWEEN THE FIXTURES AND LET THE DISTANCES BETWEEN THE FIXTURES AND THE WALLS PICK UP THE SLACK? LASTLY, IS THE SPACING BETWEEN THE SHORT SIDES IS CORRECT AT 4'?

I READ THIS:
WHICH SEEMS CONSISTENT WITH HOW I SPACED THEM. PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM MISSING SOMETHING MAJOR HERE.
THANKS AGAIN-

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMSinger

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:31 pm

AMSinger wrote:THANK YOU [color=#0040FF]@SPARKY83, A COUPLE OF FOLLOW UP CLARIFICATIONS FOR YOU--IF YOU DON'T MIND:[/color]

Sparky83 wrote:

IS 6' BETWEEN THE LONG SIDES (RATHER THAN 4') WHAT YOU MEAN? IN THIS SENSE, THE CENTER OF THE ROOM IS OVER LIT, BUT IS THIS WRONG? I FIGURED IT WAS BETTER TO OVER LIGHT RATHER THAN UNDER LIGHT SINCE IT IS AN ARCHITECT'S OFFICE. ALSO, DO YOU KNOW IF IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO GET THE CORRECT SPACING BETWEEN THE FIXTURES AND LET THE DISTANCES BETWEEN THE FIXTURES AND THE WALLS PICK UP THE SLACK? LASTLY, IS THE SPACING BETWEEN THE SHORT SIDES IS CORRECT AT 4'? ALWAYS space lights correctly.

I READ THIS: [deleted]
THANKS AGAIN- Too much overlap on the south wall. Your lights are not centered on the wall.

Sparky83

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS