Vignette Questions

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette Questions

Postby Lindalou84 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi! I have a few questions on the vignette. If anyone has any input on the following I would greatly appreciate it!

1. How far beyond the last diffuser in the row should the rigid duct extend (see image)?
2. Can the flex duct extend over a return air grill? Or light? Or another diffuser (see image)?
3. How far away should the accent light be from the fluorescent fixtures (see image)?
4. Does anyone have any "rules of thumb" in regards to placing the ceiling grid and lights to make finding a solution quicker? Such as:
- A square room should have 2x2 (square) fixures
- a rectangular room should have the grid oriented in the direction of the room (long edge of clg grid to be parallel with long edge of room)
Or anything similar?
5. I've heard that some of Norman Dorf's comments are outdated and should not be followed - what should I avoid or ignore after watching his lecture?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lindalou84

Re: Vignette Questions

Postby Sparky83 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Lindalou84 wrote:Hi! I have a few questions on the vignette. If anyone has any input on the following I would greatly appreciate it!

1. How far beyond the last diffuser in the row should the rigid duct extend (see image)? Doesn't matter. This is schematic.
2. Can the flex duct extend over a return air grill? Or light? Or another diffuser (see image)? Yes.
3. How far away should the accent light be from the fluorescent fixtures (see image)? Doesn't matter. This is schematic.
4. Does anyone have any "rules of thumb" in regards to placing the ceiling grid and lights to make finding a solution quicker? Such as:
- A square room should have 2x2 (square) fixures There is no rule of thumb. With enough practice, you can figure this out quickly.
- a rectangular room should have the grid oriented in the direction of the room (long edge of clg grid to be parallel with long edge of room)
Or anything similar? Nope.
5. I've heard that some of Norman Dorf's comments are outdated and should not be followed - what should I avoid or ignore after watching his lecture? Can you be more specific?

Thanks!

Why not post your completed solution?
Sparky83

Postby Lindalou84 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

Got it, thank you!

Regarding Dorf: in a post from Corkscrewed on this forum it says "DON'T rely on Dorf for this vignette. Some of his tips are outdated & invalid (though others are fine).." and in another post, Coach writes that using circles for anything other than accent lights is incorrect whereas Dorf's video encouraged using circles for 2x2 placement. Just curious of any other tips he gave that might not apply.

Yep - I'll be posting my entire solutions on here. Just wanted to get some clarity.

Thanks for all your feedback!
Lindalou84

Postby Sparky83 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 am

Lindalou84 wrote:Got it, thank you!

Regarding Dorf: in a post from Corkscrewed on this forum it says "DON'T rely on Dorf for this vignette. Some of his tips are outdated & invalid (though others are fine).." and in another post, Coach writes that using circles for anything other than accent lights is incorrect whereas Dorf's video encouraged using circles for 2x2 placement. Just curious of any other tips he gave that might not apply.

Yep - I'll be posting my entire solutions on here. Just wanted to get some clarity.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Dorf passed away before ARE 4.0 came out and the lighting charts changed. Since the lighting charts did change, using the 3.1 vignette to practice is not recommended.
Sparky83

Postby Lindalou84 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 am

Oh okay. Thanks!
Lindalou84

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS