Obsolete HVAC Systems?

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Obsolete HVAC Systems?

Postby Patt » Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Amber Book states that Multizone and Dual Duct Systems have been phased out due to energy issues and are not specified anymore (or rarely) for new buildings (p36)
Ballast's ARE Review Manual (1st Ed., p 28-5 and 28-6) describes these two systems in detail as viable options.

Anybody know the scoop here?
Patt

Re: Obsolete HVAC Systems?

Postby vrcat25 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:22 pm

That sounds incorrect and ambiguous. Maybe dual ducts aren't used much, but "multizone" is a feature of multiple types of systems and they are still being used. Have you tried contacting Amber? I would go by what ballast and everybody else said since you only found that in one source (ambers).
vrcat25

Re: Obsolete HVAC Systems?

Postby mermann » Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 am

Dual ducts have been largely been phased out because they are so inefficient, heating and cooling air simultaneously. Multizone as a feature is still a common flavor, but a type of multizone that is similar to dual duct where hot and cold air are created at the AHU and mixed near the AHU and sent down separate ducts to each zone . . . that's the type of multizone I was talking about. I'll try to make that clearer in my video courses. (I'm always editing them). Thanks for the head's up.--Michael Ermann, The Amber Book.
mermann

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS