Passed and finally done!

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

Passed and finally done!

Postby danio1011 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:23 pm

I just wanted to do a follow-thru post and list my study materials and methods. There are a million posts just like this, but here's mine.

I took my test a couple of weeks ago and found out on Thursday morning that I passed. That's the last one, thank goodness.

For me, this one was a lot like Structures. It sounded super scary and I studied like crazy and went into it thinking I was going to get demolished. Fortunately I didn't. I knew I missed 3 questions for sure, and guessed on half a dozen others but generally felt 'OK.' I figured, eh, 50/50 chance, maybe better. The vignette felt ok too. Nothing beautiful, but thanks to Coach's feedback on some practice posts of mine, I felt very confident that it was a passing solution.

My study materials were (in order of priority):

Jenny's notes (She organizes them by NCARB's categories, so this is super useful...I prioritized the categories by NCARB's grade weighting and used this as a baseline for everything)
Ballast (read through once but eyes glazed over now and then)
Kaplan (skimmed to supplement based on what I didn't understand in Ballast but saw referenced in Jenny's Notes)
YouTube (for everything I didn't 'get' which was usually plumbing and 3-phase stuff)
The free Amber videos on his site (I think there are like 5-8 short ones which are actually very useful just by themselves)
High school physics + experience (and some of this test was just like 'Oh I know that cause I used to work in a woodshop or, oh, I remember that from something my HVAC consultant said once...)

If I had to do it again my plan was to invest in Amber just because it seemed genuinely interesting and I liked the sample videos a lot. I only really dug into those the week before the test, though, so it was kind of late for me. That said, they don't seem necessary to pass the test and I've seen other reports where people watch it and don't pass. So who knows.

Anyway, I've just been unwinding since Thursday...and drinking a lot of beer. Thanks to the community here for helping me get through 7 of these beasts in 9 tries...and good luck to everyone still in the trenches!

Cheers,
Daniel
danio1011

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS