3rd time's a charm?

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

3rd time's a charm?

Postby ksturge » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 am

I've taken BS twice - failed the multiple choice first, then the vignette the second time. Very frustrating...
Attached is my solution, if someone has a moment to review!

1. Can a rigid duct intersect a diffuser or return grill?
2. Is there a minimum distance for diffusers/grills from ext. or partition walls?
3. Is it fatal to add a second rigid/fire damper to the supply?
4. What is the ideal orientation for fire dampers?

Previous posts have been a great help - apologies for any repeated questions here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ksturge

Re: 3rd time's a charm?

Postby fhasana » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 am

See below

ksturge wrote:I've taken BS twice - failed the multiple choice first, then the vignette the second time. Very frustrating...
Attached is my solution, if someone has a moment to review! maybe test your skills on an alt vignette

1. Can a rigid duct intersect a diffuser or return grill? I doubt it - it should have its own unique placing with direct access to the diffuser.
2. Is there a minimum distance for diffusers/grills from ext. or partition walls? I keep mine atleast 1' from the walls.
3. Is it fatal to add a second rigid/fire damper to the supply?this costs $$$ - i would be prudent about it and find a solution that works with only one rigid/fire damper per duct - better be safe than sorry
4. What is the ideal orientation for fire dampers?in the direction of the air flow - therefore the placement of your fire damper is incorrect for the return duct

Previous posts have been a great help - apologies for any repeated questions here.
fhasana

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 am

ksturge wrote:I've taken BS twice - failed the multiple choice first, then the vignette the second time. Very frustrating...
Attached is my solution, if someone has a moment to review!

1. Can a rigid duct intersect a diffuser or return grill? It can run above them, but diffusers must be connected via flex
2. Is there a minimum distance for diffusers/grills from ext. or partition walls? No.
3. Is it fatal to add a second rigid/fire damper to the supply? Probably not fatal, but it is a waste of $$$. Just branch the rigid duct.
4. What is the ideal orientation for fire dampers? Long leg parallel to the wall. There is no evidence that the direction of the short leg matters.

Sparky83

Postby ksturge » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:56 am

Thank you both for the comments. Here is my attempt at one of the alternates. After two failed exams(!) I am extra sensitive and would appreciate a look. All elements are at least 1' away from walls.

Questions:
1. I am unsure about the overlighting of the N/S walls in the Waiting Area. I've seen the 2x2 version posted. Would either solution 'pass'?
2. Exam rooms seem overlit on E/W walls. I don't know where to draw the line... or how big a deal it is if everything else is on the money.
3. I chose intentionally to locate the Laboratory return grille in line with the rigid duct for better distribution/organization of RCP. Bad idea?
4. How close is too close to a steel column for rigid ductwork? Could it sit 'on' or 'one click inside of' the 2' zone?

**Also, just wanted to point out that I found turning off many of the drawing layers to focus on the lighting layout first has been really helpful**

Thanks in advance for the review!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ksturge

Postby Iasonas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:18 am

ksturge wrote:I've taken BS twice - failed the multiple choice first, then the vignette the second time. Very frustrating....

Which section(s) of the MC did you fail?
Iasonas

Postby ksturge » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:41 am

In the first exam I received a '2' in Specialties, Electrical, and HVAC. Most recently, I passed MC (Level 1 in all categories).
ksturge

Postby Halsey » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:01 am

ksturge wrote:In the first exam I received a '2' in Specialties, Electrical, and HVAC. Most recently, I passed MC (Level 1 in all categories).

I took the exam again this past Monday. The first time I got a level 2 in HVAC, lighting and specialties. This time around I hope I passed but wanted to mention that the exam I got seemed really heavy on electrical. Maybe some questions could have been construed to lighting too (switching q's and power usage calcs)
Halsey

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS