BS - Vignette - 1st Attempt

Mechanical & Electrical Plan Vignette and Multiple Choice

BS - Vignette - 1st Attempt

Postby architect80 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:07 am

This is my first attempt at solving the Building Systems vignette. Any and all comments are much appreciated! I have a couple of questions below:

1. Between not having the grid centered on the room or having "slivers" at the edges - which is preferable?

2. Is 3' ok at the edges (ie underlight the wall edges) - see provided solution architect's office as an example.

3. Can flex ducts run over lighting?

4. Is the way I've shown the fire dampers correct? what orientation should they be? Centered in wall or at one edge or the other?

5. If more than one diffuser is needed, how far apart should they be?

Thanks and I really appreciate this forum - great resource!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
architect80

Re: BS - Vignette - 1st Attempt

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 am

architect80 wrote:This is my first attempt at solving the Building Systems vignette. Any and all comments are much appreciated! I have a couple of questions below:

1. Between not having the grid centered on the room or having "slivers" at the edges - which is preferable? This is an ME vignette, not a pretty ceiling tile vignette. Tile slivers do not matter.

2. Is 3' ok at the edges (ie underlight the wall edges) - see provided solution architect's office as an example. Depends on the type of lighting and the charts provided with them.

3. Can flex ducts run over lighting? Yes.

4. Is the way I've shown the fire dampers correct? what orientation should they be? Centered in wall or at one edge or the other? Long leg centered in the wall. Short leg direction does not matter.

5. If more than one diffuser is needed, how far apart should they be? Uniform layout is important.

Supply closet is SEVERELY over lit.
Incorrect spacing for all 2x4 lights.
NEVER bend rigid ducts inside the riser shaft. Very difficult to construct and accomplishes nothing.
Rigid ducts can branch. Adding the extra damper wastes $$$.
Connect flex to the center of diffusers, not the edge.
Architect's office is over lit. Lights are not centered.
Accent light spacing is not uniform. Show sketch circles so we can see how you solved it.
Poor separation between supply & return in the supply closet. Min 4' is recommended.
Sparky83

Postby architect80 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 am

architect80 wrote:
This is my first attempt at solving the Building Systems vignette. Any and all comments are much appreciated! I have a couple of questions below:

1. Between not having the grid centered on the room or having "slivers" at the edges - which is preferable? This is an ME vignette, not a pretty ceiling tile vignette. Tile slivers do not matter. Dorf says they do - anyone else have some input?

2. Is 3' ok at the edges (ie underlight the wall edges) - see provided solution architect's office as an example. Depends on the type of lighting and the charts provided with them.Ok - the chart says 2' and Dorf says underlighing is ok at the edges of the room - it seems between centering lights and provided room sizes, underlighting may be necessary?

3. Can flex ducts run over lighting? Yes.Thanks!

4. Is the way I've shown the fire dampers correct? what orientation should they be? Centered in wall or at one edge or the other? Long leg centered in the wall. Short leg direction does not matter.Thanks!

5. If more than one diffuser is needed, how far apart should they be? Uniform layout is important.OK - but this does not answer the question - to put it another way - is the layout I've shown correct? If not, why not?

Supply closet is SEVERELY over lit. In what way?
Incorrect spacing for all 2x4 lights.Lighting diagram shows 3' distance throw at side but it is a 2 x 4 grid so separating by 4 feet should be acceptable no? If not than are 2x4 lights just unacceptable in given these criteria?
NEVER bend rigid ducts inside the riser shaft. Very difficult to construct and accomplishes nothing. Ok - so all you have to do is get the rigid duct into the shaft - not to the actual supply duct?
Rigid ducts can branch. Adding the extra damper wastes $$$. I'm not sure what you mean here - which extra damper?
Connect flex to the center of diffusers, not the edge. Thanks!
Architect's office is over lit. Lights are not centered.In what way - 2x2 lights separated 4' apart - pretty standard?
Accent light spacing is not uniform. Show sketch circles so we can see how you solved it.Ok thanks
Poor separation between supply & return in the supply closet. Min 4' is recommendedTrue - Dorf says they need to have 3 edges touch the grid - I'm guessing between 3 edges touching a grid and min 4' separation - the separation is most important correct?
architect80

Postby Sparky83 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:20 pm

architect80 wrote:
architect80 wrote:

1. Between not having the grid centered on the room or having "slivers" at the edges - which is preferable? This is an ME vignette, not a pretty ceiling tile vignette. Tile slivers do not matter. Dorf says they do - anyone else have some input? You are being tested on Mechanical and Electrical.

2. Is 3' ok at the edges (ie underlight the wall edges) - see provided solution architect's office as an example. Depends on the type of lighting and the charts provided with them.Ok - the chart says 2' and Dorf says underlighing is ok at the edges of the room - it seems between centering lights and provided room sizes, underlighting may be necessary? Get as close as you can to the required light level. That may mean slightly over lit too.

3. Can flex ducts run over lighting? Yes.Thanks!

4. Is the way I've shown the fire dampers correct? what orientation should they be? Centered in wall or at one edge or the other? Long leg centered in the wall. Short leg direction does not matter.Thanks!

5. If more than one diffuser is needed, how far apart should they be? Uniform layout is important.OK - but this does not answer the question - to put it another way - is the layout I've shown correct? If not, why not? If it's symmetrical, yes.

Supply closet is SEVERELY over lit. In what way? SEVERELY over lit. How else can I state it?
Incorrect spacing for all 2x4 lights.Lighting diagram shows 3' distance throw at side but it is a 2 x 4 grid so separating by 4 feet should be acceptable no? [color=#FF0000]Sure if 3+3=4 If not than are 2x4 lights just unacceptable in given these criteria? [/color] What?
NEVER bend rigid ducts inside the riser shaft. Very difficult to construct and accomplishes nothing. Ok - so all you have to do is get the rigid duct into the shaft - not to the actual supply duct? NO!!! Make the bends OUTSIDE the shaft.
Rigid ducts can branch. Adding the extra damper wastes $$$. I'm not sure what you mean here - which extra damper? You have 2 supply dampers.
Connect flex to the center of diffusers, not the edge. Thanks!
Architect's office is over lit. Lights are not centered.In what way - 2x2 lights separated 4' apart - pretty standard? ...and the east and west ends are severely over lit.
Accent light spacing is not uniform. Show sketch circles so we can see how you solved it.Ok thanks
Poor separation between supply & return in the supply closet. Min 4' is recommendedTrue - Dorf says they need to have 3 edges touch the grid - I'm guessing between 3 edges touching a grid and min 4' separation - the separation is most important correct? Yes.
Sparky83

Return to BS - BUILDING SYSTEMS