NCARB Vignette - First attempt

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Vignette - First attempt

Postby kajmera » Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi,

This is my first attempt at the SS vignette. I have a few questions:

- I am showing joists at 48" O.C. based on the program, which states metal roof deck can span up to 4'. Is this the correct logic?

- I didn't use any bearing walls and I noticed that many of the solution on this forum also don't use them. Is it advised to avoid using bearing wall?

- Do the beams need to be drawn column to column or can they be drawn continuously through multiple columns?

- I draw beams at CL of walls, but I drew joists and decks to the exterior edge of wall. Is that correct?

Also, is it advised to try the alts for this vignette? In the past, I've done alts for some tests and not for others, so just wondering if there's any recommendations for this particular one.

Any other comments will be very helpful! I am cutting it very close to the June 30th deadline - testing on Tuesday! Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kajmera

Re: NCARB Vignette - First attempt

Postby Coach » Wed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm

kajmera wrote:- I am showing joists at 48" O.C. based on the program, which states metal roof deck can span up to 4'. Is this the correct logic?

Yes.

- I didn't use any bearing walls and I noticed that many of the solution on this forum also don't use them. Is it advised to avoid using bearing wall?

Yes. There's no reason to use them.

- Do the beams need to be drawn column to column or can they be drawn continuously through multiple columns?

I recommend column to column.

- I draw beams at CL of walls, but I drew joists and decks to the exterior edge of wall. Is that correct?

Draw everything to centerlines.

Also, is it advised to try the alts for this vignette? In the past, I've done alts for some tests and not for others, so just wondering if there's any recommendations for this particular one.

Can't hurt.

Delete lower beam west of shop 2.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: NCARB Vignette - First attempt

Postby kajmera » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Thank you coach!!
Coach wrote:
kajmera wrote:- I am showing joists at 48" O.C. based on the program, which states metal roof deck can span up to 4'. Is this the correct logic?

Yes.

Yes. There's no reason to use them.

I recommend column to column.

Draw everything to centerlines.

Can't hurt.

Delete lower beam west of shop 2.
kajmera

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS