NCARB Vignette - First Attempt

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Vignette - First Attempt

Postby jennifer7308 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Joists @ 4'-0" o.c.
Looking for any comments or helpful pointers.

For the covered entry porch, I spanned in the long direction because a) it was under the 30' joist guideline and b) I already had the beams on either side. Would this be considered a downgrade? I wasn't sure if adding another beam running N-S on the exterior face, would be better or a different type of downgrade (for not being economical).

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jennifer7308

Re: NCARB Vignette - First Attempt

Postby jennifer7308 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:38 pm

I just realized that on the lower level, regarding the beam on the South wall of the double height space, I should not have continued it all the wall to the exterior. It should have stopped where the lower roof wall meets perpendicular to it. Would that be an auto-fail or a downgrade?
jennifer7308

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:57 pm

jennifer7308 wrote:For the covered entry porch, I spanned in the long direction because a) it was under the 30' joist guideline and b) I already had the beams on either side. Would this be considered a downgrade?

Why in the hell would that be a downgrade?

I wasn't sure if adding another beam running N-S on the exterior face, would be better or a different type of downgrade (for not being economical).

Let's see, shall I be smart and efficient, or not? Tough question.

Delete column at northwest corner of shop 1.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 pm

jennifer7308 wrote:I just realized that on the lower level, regarding the beam on the South wall of the double height space, I should not have continued it all the wall to the exterior. It should have stopped where the lower roof wall meets perpendicular to it. Would that be an auto-fail or a downgrade?

Minor downgrade.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS