NCARB 3.1 1st Try, please comment!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB 3.1 1st Try, please comment!

Postby Archer40 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:02 pm

One question: Can the upper level columns be supported by a beam of lower level? Or do they have to be supported by either a bearing wall or column below? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer40
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Re: NCARB 3.1 1st Try, please comment!

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:19 am

Archer40 wrote:One question: Can the upper level columns be supported by a beam of lower level?

No.

Missing lower beam at north prep.
Structural grid isn't necessary.
User avatar
Coach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13198
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am

Re: NCARB 3.1 1st Try, please comment!

Postby Archer40 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Coach wrote:
Archer40 wrote:One question: Can the upper level columns be supported by a beam of lower level?

No.

Missing lower beam at north prep.
Structural grid isn't necessary.


Thanks Coach! More questions:
1. I guess the lower beam at north prep you mentioned is for supporting the upper wall of cafe, right? If so, do I need to provide another lower beam for the north wall of cafe?
2. Once I add the lower beam at north prep, should the joist for prep still go all the way to north wall of prep? In that way the northmost joist will be overlapped with the beam.
Archer40
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Re: NCARB 3.1 1st Try, please comment!

Postby Coach » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 am

Archer40 wrote:1. I guess the lower beam at north prep you mentioned is for supporting the upper wall of cafe, right?

Yes.

If so, do I need to provide another lower beam for the north wall of cafe?

No. That wall is not interrupted by a low roof.

2. Once I add the lower beam at north prep, should the joist for prep still go all the way to north wall of prep? In that way the northmost joist will be overlapped with the beam.

Always draw to centerlines.
User avatar
Coach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13198
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am

Re: NCARB 3.1 1st Try, please comment!

Postby Archer40 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Coach wrote:
Archer40 wrote:1. I guess the lower beam at north prep you mentioned is for supporting the upper wall of cafe, right?

Yes.

If so, do I need to provide another lower beam for the north wall of cafe?

No. That wall is not interrupted by a low roof.

2. Once I add the lower beam at north prep, should the joist for prep still go all the way to north wall of prep? In that way the northmost joist will be overlapped with the beam.

Always draw to centerlines.


Thank you so much Coach!
Archer40
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 pm


Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron