PASSED!!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASSED!!

Postby steveds31 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 am

Just received my notification for the structural exam pass!! Super stoked as the test was a real challenge. Many thanks to all of the past posts and coach as I could not have done it without all of the assistance. Some of my personal notes to help pass the exam which were a little different from the norm:

Watch a lot of YouTube videos on concepts you are having trouble with after taking the practice exams. This really helped to nail down the concepts and see different topics taught from as many perspectives as possible. Take as many practice exams as you can from different sources. I would take the practice exams once to see the trouble areas and then retake them until I received at least a 75%. There is word on the street that the structural exam is broken down into passing segments (earthquake, wind, general, lateral, etc) so you cannot use this 75% passing rate as a general blanket.

I did not take the Thaddeus course though the Thaddeus PDFs available within arecoach resource page were enough to work with. I was working on a budget so I was not trying to break the bank.

Mikes notes were pretty helpful in concept. Jenny too though I find that Jenny is better for breezing through as it is really dense, my brain needs some pictures every once in a while.

Study general building connections and their respective images. This caught me off guard on the test as there were a few questions which I was able to navigate through but was definitely rusty on. Ching could probably be a good resource for this.

The Structural Systems ARE Sample Problems and Practice Exam was extremely helpful, though difficult. Understanding the procedure to answer the problems became more apparent with this book.

The ARE 4.0 Structural Systems Questions & Answers was extremely helpful too. There are about 500 questions and they tend to overlap which helps nail down the concepts.

ARE 4.0 Structural Systems by Kaplan is a good resource for concepts and images and practice exams.

Know how to solve a truss problem.

I cannot stress the importance of knowing the concepts, not specific small details (even though there are some detail questions).

I only practiced the computer test a few times. The problem on the exam was kind of funky but I just went with my gut and it ended up passing. Try to do as many different practice configurations as you can.

Direct message me if you would like to purchase any of the above books.
steveds31

Re: PASSED!!

Postby kajmera » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Congratulations!! It’s encouraging to hear that you didn’t use Thaddeus course. Can you please post link to the Thaddeus PDFs you’re referring to within this forum? I couldn’t find that. Thank you so much!
kajmera

Re: PASSED!!

Postby steveds31 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:24 pm

kajmera

They are located somewhere in the resources listed within the ARE Coach links. You will need to research as I cannot recall as they were buried!
steveds31

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS