NCARB Vignette 4.0 - COACH PLEASE REVIEW - Testing next week

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Vignette 4.0 - COACH PLEASE REVIEW - Testing next week

Postby krissmZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 pm

Please review and let me know of any red flags I may have missed.

For the lower level framing, at the covered entry, I know that most people seem to choose to span their joists in the N/S direction to make use of the beams already located on the North and South sides, but is it ok to span it E/W as shown? Is adding a beam in order to do so a downgrade?

How about the column on the South wall of Shop 1...I chose to have it equally span the distance, but is it better to be embedded in the perpendicular wall btw the 2 rooms?

Lastly, when drawing the beams, is it ok to draw it as one unit when spanning 3 or more columns? Or should it be drawn as separate segments? Does this matter?

Thank you in advance for all your help! This is (hopefully) my last exam!

NCARB - SS - Upper 01.jpg

NCARB - SS - Lower 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krissmZ

Re: NCARB Vignette 4.0 - COACH PLEASE REVIEW - Testing next

Postby Coach » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 pm

krissmZ wrote:For the lower level framing, at the covered entry, I know that most people seem to choose to span their joists in the N/S direction to make use of the beams already located on the North and South sides, but is it ok to span it E/W as shown? Is adding a beam in order to do so a downgrade?

It's less efficient, could be a minor markdown, and there's no reason to do so.

How about the column on the South wall of Shop 1...I chose to have it equally span the distance, but is it better to be embedded in the perpendicular wall btw the 2 rooms?

No, it's best where you have it. Do the same at northernmost wall.

Lastly, when drawing the beams, is it ok to draw it as one unit when spanning 3 or more columns? Or should it be drawn as separate segments? Does this matter?

I have to believe it matters because the logical way for the algorithm to be written is to simply use the item ID to determine span. I recommend drawing column to column. If you don't have time to do so you have bigger problems.

Missing lower column at southwest.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: NCARB Vignette 4.0 - COACH PLEASE REVIEW - Testing next

Postby krissmZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 pm

AHHHH!! I FORGOT A COLUMN IN THE SOUTH WEST CORNER OF THE COMMON AREA! FOOL...must double check and triple check EVERYTHING!

Please let me know if you see anything else. Thanks!
krissmZ

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS