NCARB Vignette - PLEASE REVIEW

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

NCARB Vignette - PLEASE REVIEW

Postby kek123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

This is my first attempt at the vignette. Couple of questions:

1. If I place a column on the lower level do I need to also place one on the upper level?
2. Do I need a column at all the wall intersections or just the corners of the joist layout?
3. Do the joists/decking extend to the inside face of the walls or outside face?
4. Is there any reason you would ever have to use bearing walls? Or can the vignettes always be solved with either?

Any feedback on if I made any mistakes is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Low Roof:
NCARB SS vignette_Low Roof.JPG

High Roof:
NCARB SS vignette_High Roof.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kek123

Re: NCARB Vignette - PLEASE REVIEW

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 pm

kek123 wrote:This is my first attempt at the vignette. Couple of questions:

1. If I place a column on the lower level do I need to also place one on the upper level? How else would you support upper level beams?
2. Do I need a column at all the wall intersections or just the corners of the joist layout? Why would you need them at every wall intersection? Max recommended beam span is 40'.
3. Do the joists/decking extend to the inside face of the walls or outside face? Centerline
4. Is there any reason you would ever have to use bearing walls? Or can the vignettes always be solved with either? Bearing walls would be required if the program says so.

Any feedback on if I made any mistakes is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

All joists unsupported. No beams. Fatal.
Sparky83

Re: NCARB Vignette - PLEASE REVIEW

Postby kek123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Ya. I just purchased and watched Coach's vignette video and realized I totally missed the beams. And I missed the recommended spacing - 40' for columns and 30' for joists.

And this is why I use the forum. Thank you for your quick reply! Will try again and some alternates and post over the next couple of days. Testing on Monday. This is my final exam so praying for a PASS!
kek123

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS