SS 4.0 Vignette - Please Review

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

SS 4.0 Vignette - Please Review

Postby casey.michaelj » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Please review attached plans for Lower Level and Upper Level roof framing plan, and comment on any possible errors.

Taking the exam on Tuesday morning, this is my 3rd attempt and final one to pass. Hoping all looks good with this vignette-

A couple questions:
1. Should extents of decking align with centerline of beams, or extend to outside face of exterior walls?
2. Is the best solution always columns and beams? NCARB guide shows bearing walls but everyone else says stick with columns and beams.

Thank You! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casey.michaelj

Re: SS 4.0 Vignette - Please Review

Postby Joseluis778 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Missing a lower level beam at the east end of the common area.

Everything should align with the centerlines.

I personally am sticking with beams and columns per coach's tips. Makes sense for a straight forward and quick solution.
Joseluis778

Postby jackstatic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 am

The reasons Ive heard to stick with beam and column is that is more common to make mistakes when you begin adding extra elements to the vignette, i.e. if it can be solved with only beams and columns why add something that requires more work?
Bearing walls require lintels, and must be stopped at doors and windows, and there is no official word on how far to bring the lintels over the bearing wall, etc etc. Where as the beam is continuous until you hit the column, done. To many things to do with a bearing wall that can screw it up.

Of course, disclaimer, read the exam to make sure its not a requirement I guess

Can someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe a beam is necessary on the first floor at the exterior portion of the south west corner of the common area.
jackstatic

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:48 am

jackstatic wrote:I do not believe a beam is necessary on the first floor at the exterior portion of the south west corner of the common area.

Correct.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby casey.michaelj » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Is @Joseluis778 correct, should I add a beam running N-S on the east wall of the Common Area?
:shock:
casey.michaelj

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm

casey.michaelj wrote:Is @Joseluis778 correct, should I add a beam running N-S on the east wall of the Common Area?

Yes, on lower level only.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS