Update - YAY

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Update - YAY

Postby ataribeats » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Hi,
I took BS (2nd time) last week and I started studying for SS since monday. Well I just found out that I failed BS and now I don't know what to do knowing that 4.0 is due on June 30th. I didn't want to transition because I thought I could make it :cry:
I know I have time to take SS twice (if needed) and still study one more time for BS, but I just don't know what to do right now. Should I transition? or should I keep studying SS and take it in about 7 weeks?. Then study for BS again for about two weeks (I can take a week of vacation off work and just study) and hope for the best?

Side note: I took the NCARB practice SS test on monday and I got 22 of 38 :S but I also see that there's a lot of BDCS and I did well on that one.

I'm not doing well with that fail this morning and I don't know what to do :cry:

5.0 PPD / PDD seems very broad but I know some of it already. So confused.
Last edited by ataribeats on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ataribeats

Re: Started studying for SS and found out that I failed BS

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:29 am

Do not transition. If those 2 are all you have left have both signed up before march if you have to take again you can in May! Goodluck, hunker down and get 'er done!
alexwilkosz24

Postby AJD » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Agreed. Avoid transitioning. You are very close. Keep hammering away in 4.0.
AJD

Postby ataribeats » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks, guys!

I think I got over it and I'm ready to kick this 2 tests a##!!!

Thanks for the encouragement :)
ataribeats

Postby AJD » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Glad to hear you bounced back so quickly! Good for you. You can definitely do it. I recommend Thaddeus for SS and Amber for BS. Best of luck to you. :)
AJD

Postby pig » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm

i was in the same boat.... and totally feel you.
taking SS next week....

but please i benefitted so much from Amber videos. if i did not take that, there was no way i could have passed BS and BDCS.
and the BS videos actually are fun to watch and i learned a lot from it.
like how an air conditioner works.
the lighting part was amazing.
i think the videos are worth it not just for the exam but for general BS knowledge.
try to see if amber would help you pass.
pig

Re: Started studying for SS and found out that I failed BS -

Postby ataribeats » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:25 am

I PASSED SS!!!

Thanks guys for the encouragement when I was so down when I failed BS for second time. But now more than ever I feel confident I can pass BS after having achieve the great Structures milestone.

I was so scared and anxious for two whole months. I never stop studying SS, I came to work early and studied for like an hour, studied during lunch time and went back home to do the same, weekends, oh weekends. I'm glad that it has been so cold and gloomy that didn't make feel like enjoying life for the past two months. The pressure of the 4.0 deadline plus the failed BS helped me through this I think.

So, now to pass BS and get this done.

SS is a hardcore test, and I'm not going to say that I felt confident or anything, but hey! I passed and thanks everybody for the help!

Coach videos are the best for all the vignettes, thanks Coach for that and all the help you give us, constantly. On every subject and matter.

:D

ps. funny thing that I did was to not listen to the music I like because it makes me feel happy and want to have fun, so I focused myself in boring stuff and listened to the memory/study music channels on youtube and used http://www.noisli.com to set me in the mood of boredom lol
ataribeats

Postby nidagm » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Congrats on the pass! What exactly did you study for SS? Was it heavy on the cals or concepts?

Thanks.

ataribeats wrote:I PASSED SS!!!

Thanks guys for the encouragement when I was so down when I failed BS for second time. But now more than ever I feel confident I can pass BS after having achieve the great Structures milestone.

I was so scared and anxious for two whole months. I never stop studying SS, I came to work early and studied for like an hour, studied during lunch time and went back home to do the same, weekends, oh weekends. I'm glad that it has been so cold and gloomy that didn't make feel like enjoying life for the past two months. The pressure of the 4.0 deadline plus the failed BS helped me through this I think.

So, now to pass BS and get this done.

SS is a hardcore test, and I'm not going to say that I felt confident or anything, but hey! I passed and thanks everybody for the help!

Coach videos are the best for all the vignettes, thanks Coach for that and all the help you give us, constantly. On every subject and matter.

:D

ps. funny thing that I did was to not listen to the music I like because it makes me feel happy and want to have fun, so I focused myself in boring stuff and listened to the memory/study music channels on youtube and used http://www.noisli.com to set me in the mood of boredom lol
nidagm

Postby ataribeats » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:19 am

nidagm wrote:Congrats on the pass! What exactly did you study for SS? Was it heavy on the cals or concepts?

Thanks.

I studied steady for 2 months.
- Took Thaddeus, which I went over the videos twice
- Read BAR & FEMA chapters (I tried to listen to the audio but didn't help me much)
- Read IBC chapter 16
- watched grant adams videos on vimeo for General Structures
- Read my BDCS notes for General structures as well (Amber & Ballast)
- watched youtube videos on everything I needed reinforcement
- got coach's vignette video
- did about 300 practice questions from kaplan (I didn't do too well on this but it helped me a lot to get used to reading/answering - IMO these are hardcore practice Q&A)

I will say I got about 20 math questions, which I left to the end. Do not focus on the math, but understand why and IMO Prof. Thaddeus does a great job explaining the why of the math.
ataribeats

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS