Pass...and DONE!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Pass...and DONE!

Postby appletree » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:53 am

All -

Another pass and done post to help you believe you can do it too! For this exam, I focused on Thaddeus and FEMA and Buildings at Risk. That was pretty much it. I never opened Ballast. I used Kaplan for a few test questions and to look up some concepts.

I found the vignette to be among the easiest vignettes in all of 4.0. IMO, SPD and BS were the toughest - mostly b/c you had to do so much in an hour! This one took me 20 minutes..and I even had time to change my mind about something. I used Thaddeus' vignette tips and they worked perfectly, in addition to the feedback on this board.

FEMA is really key. Those readings are not hard, they break it down, and I had tons of questions on designing for both earthquake and wind.

I maybe had one math problem I had to skip b/c I just could not remember the equation; otherwise Thaddeus served me quite well - but take his advice (i didn't, and I think I got lucky) to look for more complex diaphragm problems to solve than his examples - I had several with 3 and 4 walls on the exam.

if I can do this, you definitely can. I have 10+ years experience....but I am also a fulltime working mom to 2 kids, and pregnant with #3 so getting to the end of this marathon is a huge weight off my chest.

good luck, and thanks to Coach for maintaining all of this!
appletree

Re: Pass...and DONE!

Postby cabara01 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 am

Congratulations!!
cabara01

Postby Abbylaine123 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Congrats! Does anyone know where we can find more complex diaphragm problems to study? Thanks!
Abbylaine123

Postby jackstatic » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 am

Congrats! I'm hoping to be there with a final pass soon too! Starting to get nervous waiting for the score!
jackstatic

Postby nidagm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:34 pm

appletree wrote:All -

Another pass and done post to help you believe you can do it too! For this exam, I focused on Thaddeus and FEMA and Buildings at Risk. That was pretty much it. I never opened Ballast. I used Kaplan for a few test questions and to look up some concepts.

I found the vignette to be among the easiest vignettes in all of 4.0. IMO, SPD and BS were the toughest - mostly b/c you had to do so much in an hour! This one took me 20 minutes..and I even had time to change my mind about something. I used Thaddeus' vignette tips and they worked perfectly, in addition to the feedback on this board.

FEMA is really key. Those readings are not hard, they break it down, and I had tons of questions on designing for both earthquake and wind.

I maybe had one math problem I had to skip b/c I just could not remember the equation; otherwise Thaddeus served me quite well - but take his advice (i didn't, and I think I got lucky) to look for more complex diaphragm problems to solve than his examples - I had several with 3 and 4 walls on the exam.

if I can do this, you definitely can. I have 10+ years experience....but I am also a fulltime working mom to 2 kids, and pregnant with #3 so getting to the end of this marathon is a huge weight off my chest.

good luck, and thanks to Coach for maintaining all of this!

Congratulations! How long did you study for this? I am a mother of two and will start full time work within a week. Can you please tell me how you handled your schedule? A couple hours every night and several on the weekends? It is so hard with the young kids.
nidagm

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS