Vignette question

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette question

Postby Heartwood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:21 am

Besides not being an efficient layout, is there anything wrong with framing the covered entry this way? In particular, the column locations even if the longest beam span is 30'-6?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heartwood

Re: Vignette question

Postby Coach » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 pm

There's a column that isn't in a wall. Major error.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Heartwood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Coach wrote:There's a column that isn't in a wall. Major error.

So that column wouldn't be considered a structural member within the building envelope used to frame the covered entry? Any difference between some of the alternates that show columns framing a porch?
Heartwood

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Heartwood wrote:

So that column wouldn't be considered a structural member within the building envelope used to frame the covered entry? Any difference between some of the alternates that show columns framing a porch?

Alternates don't come from NCARB and do not reflect what you can expect in the real exam.
Sparky83

Postby Heartwood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
Heartwood wrote:

Alternates don't come from NCARB and do not reflect what you can expect in the real exam.

My question is directly regarding placing structural members within the building envelope, outside of walls. Columns "may" be placed within walls, but are the walls considered the "building envelope" or is it the roof line?
Heartwood

Postby Coach » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:45 pm

After re-reading the program, I suppose nothing prohibits that column location, but frankly, it's a dumb way to go.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby Heartwood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Coach wrote:After re-reading the program, I suppose nothing prohibits that column location, but frankly, it's a dumb way to go.

Maybe in terms of this solution, but in regards to the program, I don’t think this question is dumb.
Heartwood

Postby Coach » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 pm

I seriously doubt that you'll encounter a plan where keeping the columns in walls won't be possible. The better solution above would be to have 4 columns on the east wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS