Mike's hypothetical vignette - testing tomorrow

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Mike's hypothetical vignette - testing tomorrow

Postby appletree » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:17 am

The only thing I am worried about with the vignette is getting an upper floor space where both dimensions are longer than the 'rules of thumb" that have been passed around - in his vignette guide Mike throws out the idea that you should have a solution for a 60' x 60' space, with columns allowed only in walls. I can see how you'd break up the length of the beams in the walls, but the only thing I can land on as a solution is having to run ONE 60' long beam across the space (to make all the joists a reasonable length for the roof support) without any intermediate columns (b/c they would be in the center of the room). So all your beams could be 40' or less...and your joists would be 40' and 20' (there are 20' windows in each wall).
Otherwise, you have a roof with 60' joists, which seems crazier than one expensive 60' beam.

what has anyone else come up with for this hypothetical?
appletree

Re: Mike's hypothetical vignette - testing tomorrow

Postby Coach » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

If they give you a 60x60 space then obviously the only thing you can do is have one beam that's 60' long.

You can only work with what you're given. No point worrying about it. Follow the guidelines, program and code and trust what you know.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Mike's hypothetical vignette - testing tomorrow

Postby appletree » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:43 am

thanks Coach for the quick response! that was my hunch ( and I hope I get a rectangle...) but just checking. The vignette (at least to me, with 12+ years experience) seems relatively straightforward so trying to come up with unusual layouts/situations to ensure I have the general approach down.
appletree

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS