Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby hhallancia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:38 am

Hello,
I may have blown it but, I decided to use steel framing for my entire solution.
Would anyone be kind enough to take a look and point out any concerns?
Thank you very mucho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hhallancia
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:02 am

Waaaaay too many columns. No need for one at every wall intersection. Max recommended beam span is 40'.
No need for a beam from the NW corner of Shop 2 to the SW corner of the common area.
No need for upper level beams on the east and west ends of the common area.
No need to align columns on a grid.
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7649
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby hhallancia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 am

Sparky83 wrote:Waaaaay too many columns. No need for one at every wall intersection. Max recommended beam span is 40'.
No need for a beam from the NW corner of Shop 2 to the SW corner of the common area. wouldn't I need this to support joists in Shop1 and 2?
No need for upper level beams on the east and west ends of the common area.
No need to align columns on a grid.

Thank you for the feedback
hhallancia
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am

hhallancia wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:Waaaaay too many columns. No need for one at every wall intersection. Max recommended beam span is 40'.
No need for a beam from the NW corner of Shop 2 to the SW corner of the common area. wouldn't I need this to support joists in Shop1 and 2? Huh? That beam doesn't adjoin either of those rooms.
No need for upper level beams on the east and west ends of the common area.
No need to align columns on a grid.

Thank you for the feedback
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7649
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby hhallancia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Got it. I was looking somewhere else...
but i do need it over the exterior door adj. shop 2 right?
Thanks
hhallancia
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby Sparky83 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 pm

hhallancia wrote:Got it. I was looking somewhere else...
but i do need it over the exterior door adj. shop 2 right?
Thanks

Why would you need a beam over an exterior door?
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7649
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby hhallancia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 am

I thought I needed a lintel over openings.
The program states: "lintels are required to be shown in bearing walls only..."
Doesnt apply here.
Thanks for your time.
hhallancia
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby hhallancia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 am

SS Lower Roof Example.pdf
Wait! Take a look at this sample passing solution.
It states "all upper walls properly supported".
in the same way that they have provided a beam on the East side to support that portion of the upper wall,
wouldn't one be needed along the South wall all the way to the West?
The sample solution shows a bearing wall but since I went with steel, I think I need this Beam.
Do you agree?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hhallancia
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Any feedback will be much appreciated. Testing soon

Postby Sparky83 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm

hhallancia wrote:
SS Lower Roof Example.pdf
Wait! Take a look at this sample passing solution.
It states "all upper walls properly supported".
in the same way that they have provided a beam on the East side to support that portion of the upper wall,
wouldn't one be needed along the South wall all the way to the West?
The sample solution shows a bearing wall but since I went with steel, I think I need this Beam.
Do you agree? Nope.

On the east side of the common area, the wall is interrupted by a roof. Not so at the area in question.
Sparky83
 
Posts: 7649
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:36 pm


Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests