4.0 Vignette Questions

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

4.0 Vignette Questions

Postby will.fellis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello again everyone and thank you for having a look.

Here are a few questions I have regarding the framing plan vignette. (I like the ease of the all steel technique, so I am going with that)

1. When it comes to "efficiency" does the test care about including more columns along a span to reduce steel beam dimension, or is that overcomplicating? ie the south wall of the second floor common area or Shops 1 and 2.
2. If a non-load bearing wall is in plane with another wall below, there is no need to support the upper wall with a beam correct? ie the upper east wall of the common area.
3. What else am I missing? Seems like a reasonably straightforward process confirming things are supported on their way to ground 1.

Thank you again and I look forward to everyone's comments. Testing on Monday 11/20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
will.fellis

Re: 4.0 Vignette Questions

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:46 pm

will.fellis wrote:1. When it comes to "efficiency" does the test care about including more columns along a span to reduce steel beam dimension, or is that overcomplicating? ie the south wall of the second floor common area or Shops 1 and 2.

You should provide enough columns to keep beam lengths to 40' or less.

2. If a non-load bearing wall is in plane with another wall below, there is no need to support the upper wall with a beam correct? ie the upper east wall of the common area.

If a low roof is adjacent to an upper wall, place a beam below the upper wall.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS