Youtube guy goes through kaplan questions

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Youtube guy goes through kaplan questions

Postby veuxx » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwQU5j7FbE4

This guy is awesome! He goes through each Kaplan quiz section on the structural portion.
Hope it helps.
veuxx

Re: Youtube guy goes through kaplan questions

Postby STL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello,
Yes, I found this helpful, but found it frustrating that I believe he made the same error that Kaplan made on one question. (And I was hoping he would prove them wrong.)
On the question about how much load will be on a first floor column in a 7 story building, I think Dilipi and Kaplan get it wrong. There are 6 floors, not 7 above the first floor column in a 7 story building. Dilipi started drawing a sketch of a 7 story building, but he stopped short of drawing it accurately to count that the 1st floor column supports 6 floors. Correct? Does anyone else agree?
The load per floor should be multiplied by 6, not 7.

thanks!
STL

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:12 pm

What does the problem say about the roof load?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby STL » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Actually the Question is #39 from PPI's Sample Problems.

Regarding roof load, good question. It doesn't say anything specifically about roof loads, but maybe we are to assume? Here is what it says:
"Service loads at each level are 90 psf of dead load and 50psf of live load, including self-weights." It asks for the total axial load on a typical 1st floor interior column. There is a 20' x 20' grid.

The solution says to multiply the load that is calculated per floor and per tributary area by the number of levels above the column, "in this case seven." But there are only 6 levels and one roof above the column. The roof would not have the same live load as a floor, right?

thank you
STL

Postby Coach » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Are you going to ignore the roof?
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS