Alt Vignette ARE 3.1 - Advise on bearing wall general usage

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Alt Vignette ARE 3.1 - Advise on bearing wall general usage

Postby krystamae » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Taking the exam on Thursday. This is the alternate practice exam. I wanted someone to tell me more about bearing walls. I see that not many people are using them. What is the general rule for that? Did someone say just to use steel? I find that sometimes they are simpler because you can rest a column on them on the second floor, or a beam on it at any place, but I see many people don't use bearing walls. Some quick advice would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krystamae

Re: Alt Vignette ARE 3.1 - Advise on bearing wall general us

Postby jackstatic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:49 pm

The advice I have seen, and will give you is just don't use them.
My understanding is that there are too many potentials for error and quite simply their rules in terms of the program are just unclear. Do you draw them to the exterior of the wall? to the center line? what about at an opening, do you draw it all the way to the opening? do you stop 1 click or 2 clicks before the opening? do you over lap them with the lintel? etc etc.
Columns and beams are much more self explanatory. Columns in the corner, beam to the center of the column. If you have a column above have one below as well. That's what my understanding of it was anyway. The test I just took (failed overall but did get a level 1 on the vignette) would have been 10x more confusing and just opening myself up to more problems and chances to fail had I tried to incorporate bearing walls instead of just using the columns like I did.
jackstatic

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS