PASS!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASS!

Postby babycarrot42 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 am

I took SS on 06/05 and woke up this morning to find out that I PASSED!! This was my last ARE section to take so now I'm on to the CSE. This has been a long hard road for me. Since I started the process, I have battled cancer, treatment, 3 surgeries, and lost my father to illness. I persevered (even though I'm now 8 months pregnant!) and prevailed. I couldn't be more relieved right now. Big thanks to the ARE Coach community. Reading thru posts and reviewing other people's vignettes was extremely helpful.

Here's what I studied and found helpful:
- David Thaddeus's lectures. I did Black Spectacles for other tests, but honestly did not find them very useful. I found their review of the vignettes was - as those I feel are hard to study from reading notes. It's helpful to watch someone solve them "live", hear their thought process, and understand the various tolerances. But David Thaddeus is honestly the best investment of money and time for SS. He reviews everything you really need to know from the test and tells you which supplemental material to review.
- FEMA. I read the entire document, even though only a few chapters are suggested.
- Ballast. When I first started testing, I learned that a lot of material overlapped. So I read all of the chapters, except SS, and took notes. Then I would just review my notes when I prepped for the individual exams. When I started studying for BDCS, I read a few of the SS chapters so I only had 3 chapters left to read for this final exam. I reread my notes on BDCS and read my notes on SS. I feel like I benefited more from Thaddeus though. I can't stress his lectures enough.
- Jenny's Notes. These and Ballast were my go-to's thru the testing process. Between the two, they cover just about everything you need to know. Anything I was unclear on, I googled and researched on my own.
- I didn't study Kaplan or any of the other suggested materials. I believe that you can overdo it and end up confusing yourself.
- Know the concepts and how they apply to the equations. Memorize the equations that are not given on the tests. Understanding how the variables relate to each other helps while you sort thru info during the exam.

Thanks again to ARE Coach and the community!! Good luck to those that are still studying!! On to the CSE!!!
babycarrot42

Re: PASS!

Postby alkali » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Congratulations on your success and perseverance!!
alkali

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS