Alt Vignette 3.1 Test sunday

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Alt Vignette 3.1 Test sunday

Postby jackstatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey guys, posting my solutions to the 3.1 Vignette
Question 1, do I have too many columns? I heard something like 40' for beams and 30' for joists is the max (tho I am not sure how solid that is, as the span over the waiting room is currently 30'-4"), but I felt like this seemed right. Of course if I should stick to the 40 and 30 rule then I could remove 3 columns on the 1st and 2nd floor (effectively entire second row from the north wall)
Question 2, I placed the south joists n/s and the slab e/w, while the joists above the waiting room e/w with the slab n/s, is there any reason I should keep all the joists e/w and the slab n/s? I would guess I would need a beam between the columns of the preparation room and storage if this were the case.
question 3, a beam is NOT needed along the north and east walls of the cafeteria because these are exterior walls, correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackstatic

Re: Alt Vignette 3.1 Test sunday

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 pm

jackstatic wrote:Question 1, do I have too many columns?

You can eliminate one in east and west walls and move other to midspan. There's no need for a structural grid.

I heard something like 40' for beams and 30' for joists is the max

That's right. You can go up to 35' with joists if you absolutely have to.

(tho I am not sure how solid that is, as the span over the waiting room is currently 30'-4"),

It's actually 29-8. Span is measured to face of bearing.

Of course if I should stick to the 40 and 30 rule then I could remove 3 columns on the 1st and 2nd floor (effectively entire second row from the north wall)

I prefer to keep a column on each side of large portals.

Question 2, I placed the south joists n/s and the slab e/w, while the joists above the waiting room e/w with the slab n/s, is there any reason I should keep all the joists e/w and the slab n/s?

No structural reason but it would be more efficient.

I would guess I would need a beam between the columns of the preparation room and storage if this were the case.

You would need beams in line with the ones on the north and keep beam on north side of prep.

question 3, a beam is NOT needed along the north and east walls of the cafeteria because these are exterior walls, correct?

Not on lower level. Correct.

Looks good.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby jackstatic » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 pm

thank you so much. very helpful, i feel confident about 1 part of the test at least. the MC portion.... im so boned... lol but it is what it is at this point. heres hopin!
jackstatic

Postby Thass77 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 am

Can a column sit on a bearing wall? For example, if you wanted to make the wall that divided the waiting room and cafeteria a bearing wall on the first floor and then add columns on the second level that sit on that barring wall to support the cafeteria roof, or do you have to carry the columns all the way down to the first level?
Thass77

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am

Don't use bearing walls.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby steshetz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:42 am

Why are bearing walls bad to use?
steshetz

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS