PASS!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

PASS!

Postby spike » Fri May 26, 2017 11:53 am

got my results this morning. I was so sure I would not make it.
from my experience, the exams as usual had quite a few questions that tests your ability to understand the english language and not so much structures...and a few that I had no idea what so ever.

I think its really important to understand the basic and being able to apply...know the diff kinds of structures, where they can be used and advantages of one over the other and their weakness too ....NCARB really tests these principles I think.

I barely finished my exam and had no time to go through the questions I had marked to review. I quickly answered all the question that I knew or was straight forward ...no looking up tables or searching through the reference section....did not answer or mark the ones I needed to spend too much time or figure out or had no clue how to go about it...so when I was done answering all the question I still had 25mins to spend on those question that was incomplete....if you work on them fast enough maybe you will get a change to go through the marked ones.

my study source was mainly the Kaplan study guide...did use the Ballast guide a little bit....did about 200 questions from the Kaplan question bank... I wish I had done it all. The forum of course which is always helpful.
read and listened to FEMA and B@R ..all three.
NSLA 3.0 flash cards...these are really helpful to jog your memory

Wish you luck to everyone who still needs to cross this bridge .

over to the next one.
spike

Re: PASS!

Postby raaz227 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:31 am

Congrats!

Was there many calculations on the MC? Also, did you use Thaddeus? Seems a lot of people are using his course.
raaz227

Postby spike » Sun May 28, 2017 10:45 am

raaz227 wrote:Congrats!

Was there many calculations on the MC? Also, did you use Thaddeus? Seems a lot of people are using his course.

not many calculations actually ...they were pretty simple ones ...nothing crazy.
I did not use the Thaddeus. Structures seems very vast and intimidating but actually after being done and thinking back ...the exams tests your understanding more than anything.

why a particular structure is used in a particular situation and why one is better than the other.

wish you luck
spike

Postby sofiasalvat » Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks, Spike. This was helpful advice.
sofiasalvat

Postby spike » Tue May 30, 2017 2:00 pm

sofiasalvat wrote:Thanks, Spike. This was helpful advice.

also know what kind of forces are maximum and zero and where.....and the kind of forces in diff structures...sometimes the problems looks complicated but on looking closer without loosing your nerve ...its pretty straighforward.
spike

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS