YES YOU CAN!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

YES YOU CAN!

Postby phlRED » Mon May 22, 2017 2:31 pm

I got word last week that I passed my final exam (SS!) and want to pop in and tell you that YOU CAN and YOU WILL succeed. Don't let yourself get bogged down with study material and feeling you have to master everything - you just need to pass. The exam questions will not be like the practice exams, and maybe you will fail - but keep pushing and believing in yourself and you will do it. I only studying Kaplan for all the exams (I had the Ballast at the ready and I intended to read it but I always ran out of time).

Find the alternate vignettes, learn how to set them up on your computer and practice as much of the alternates as you can! That was so valuable for me. Also, reviewing this forum for the vignettes was so valuable! It's a great little community resource right here! As much as I would try to do the NCARB vignette with 'fresh' eyes - it was nearly impossible for me to NOT do the corrected version once I knew the right answer.

My story: I took and failed my first (2) exams - CDs and PPP in 2013 (vignette MAJOR deficiency in both!). It took me until 2014 to get myself together and try again. Took and passed CDs, PPP, failed SPD (again because of the vignette - this was before I knew how to set up the alternate vignettes dwg to use in the practice software), passed SD in 2014. Passed SPD and BS in 2015. Passed BDCS in 2016. Passed SS in 2017. I only share that because I know it wasn't 'normal' but life happens and here we are. I'm done (THRILLED!!) and I want to encourage you to keep pushing and succeed!!

YES YOU CAN AND YES YOU WILL! Go get it! Keep pushing!
phlRED

Re: YES YOU CAN!

Postby kerzzo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:29 pm

congrats!
for some of us it takes longer becasue life is happening,yes!
kerzzo

Re: YES YOU CAN!

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 am

phlRED wrote:Don't let yourself get bogged down with study material and feeling you have to master everything - you just need to pass. The exam questions will not be like the practice exams

phlRED, I feel like you hit the nail on the head with these two ideas. There are so many misconceptions out there about these tests, the role they play in an architect's career, and what to expect in the testing room. I think it leads to a lot frustration by a lot of candidates who expect to walk in and expect to just spit out a memorized answer to questions that were exactly like the practice exams. And that you need to memorize every minute detail. Frankly I tried to do that for BDCS and got so overwhelmed! I had to change my expectations to "pass" not scoring 100%. (Goes against the common architect mindset of achieving "perfection".)

Congratulations on finishing! Enjoy life post-exams. If you're like me, you almost forgot what it was like to NOT be studying for something. ;)
corbismyhomeboy

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS