1st try Window Wall Question

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

1st try Window Wall Question

Postby dshaff3 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:18 pm

This vignette seems pretty straight forward with exception of this window wall.
Does the program or code mention that the window wall can support it's own weight? I get why a beam is needed between covered entry and common area.
any explanation or comments are greatly appreciated.
2nd try 1st floor.JPG

1st try 2nd floor.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dshaff3

Re: 1st try Window Wall Question

Postby Sparky83 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:30 pm

dshaff3 wrote:This vignette seems pretty straight forward with exception of this window wall.
Does the program or code mention that the window wall can support it's own weight? No beam needed there. I get why a beam is needed between covered entry and common area.

No need for the lower level beam from the NW corner of shop 2 to the SW corner of the common area.
Sparky83

Postby dshaff3 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Sparky83 wrote:
dshaff3 wrote:This vignette seems pretty straight forward with exception of this window wall.
Does the program or code mention that the window wall can support it's own weight? No beam needed there. I get why a beam is needed between covered entry and common area.

No need for the lower level beam from the NW corner of shop 2 to the SW corner of the common area.

Thanks for the feedback.Could you please help me understand the difference between the lower level beam from NW corner of shop 2 and the SW corner of common area and the lower level beam between the common area and covered entry? why is one needed and the other not needed.
dshaff3

Postby Sparky83 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 pm

dshaff3 wrote:
Sparky83 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.Could you please help me understand the difference between the lower level beam from NW corner of shop 2 and the SW corner of common area and the lower level beam between the common area and covered entry? why is one needed and the other not needed.

The one at the covered entry is interrupted by a roof. The other is not.
Sparky83

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS