SS - Vignette

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

SS - Vignette

Postby Cosninety » Sun May 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Feedback appreciated.

I have three questions:
1) In the dorf video, he seems to explain that a beam would not be required between the common area and the covered area to support the wall above. From what I've read here, it sounds like that is no longer the case and that a beam IS required. I'm sure this has been answered a million times already.. Please confirm for my paranoia.
2) The joists that run along the northern portion of the plan are drawn as one plane from east to west, whereas the beams were broken up at each column. Is that the best way to go about it or should i also break up the joists to match the break lines of the beams?
3) We don't draw the clerestory, so is the clerestory implicitly accounted for when a beam is provided on the Lower level where the clerestory is to be located?

ss_01a.png

ss_01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cosninety

Re: SS - Vignette

Postby Coach » Mon May 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Cosninety wrote:1) In the dorf video, he seems to explain that a beam would not be required between the common area and the covered area to support the wall above. From what I've read here, it sounds like that is no longer the case and that a beam IS required. I'm sure this has been answered a million times already.. Please confirm for my paranoia.

That video is very old. Beam is required.

2) The joists that run along the northern portion of the plan are drawn as one plane from east to west, whereas the beams were broken up at each column. Is that the best way to go about it

Yes.

3) We don't draw the clerestory, so is the clerestory implicitly accounted for when a beam is provided on the Lower level where the clerestory is to be located?

Yes.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS