Testing tomorrow - Kaplan 500 killing my confidence

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Testing tomorrow - Kaplan 500 killing my confidence

Postby arearcher » Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 am

I've been studying for about two months. About two weeks ago I finished the Thaddeus lectures, B@R, FEMA, Archiflash cards, and NCARB test. I felt like I had a good handle on the material. The Ballast practice exams weren't easy, but I got all the conceptual questions correct and about half the involved math ones correct. I decided to spend the last two weeks work through the Ballast Chapters and Kaplan 500.

Now the day before my exam my confidence is at a low. I'm still working through the Kaplan 500. I find myself getting most of the math questions wrong and going back and forth between the answer key...the errata, and back to Ballast for the math explanations. It's a big time suck and I'm not sure it's very productive, since I don't think I'll have most of the complex formulas memorized by tomorrow. I'm also beginning to forget the material from the Thaddeus lectures.

I'm looking for some encouragement and suggestions. I'm stopping the Kaplan questions to review the Thaddeus handouts/videos, Ballast and NCARB questions. I think it makes the most sense. All I've read on here is don't get hung up on the math.
arearcher

Re: Testing tomorrow - Kaplan 500 killing my confidence

Postby spike » Sun May 07, 2017 11:39 am

I am guessing that you are writing your exam tomorrow....and here's wishing you luck. With these exams ..I feel half the battle is being able to feel calm and think straight and being confident.
I think the last day is best spent looking up topics that need your attention and revising concepts rather than doing something that undermines your confidence.
Take a deep breath, calm down and go write that exam.

Wish you luck!
spike

Postby arearcher » Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks spike.

I'm glad I stopped reviewing the Kaplan 500 and stuck with Thaddeus. Reviewing the concepts helped much more on the exam than continuing to try and memorize the formulas. Fingers crossed...I really don't want to have to study 2 months again for this.
arearcher

Postby arearcher » Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 am

Yay! Passed! Onto Building Systems.
arearcher

Postby spike » Fri May 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Congratulations!
Wonderful news. I write on this 17th. I hope I have some good news to share too
spike

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS