Confused by Kaplan

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Confused by Kaplan

Postby Lindalou84 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding which formulas to use for specific word problems when there are a series of steps involved, as well as trying to figure out which charts to use. I came across these two questions in the Kaplan Lesson 4 quiz which confuse me even more:

7. A beam of ASTM A992 steel supports a uniformly distributed load of 1,250 lbs/ft on a 30' span. The beam is laterally supported at the third points of the span. What is the lightest section to be used?

The answer references a page that does not have a chart - the next page does so I figured that is the chart they meant (attached). It says any beam to the right of the 10' indicator would work, so to choose the lightest beam. Here, the lightest beam is W18x40 but the answer is W16x40. Am I reading this chart wrong? Is this not the correct chart? Or is it a typo?

8. For the beam of Question 7, what is the lightest section that could be used if the beam were laterally supported?
The beam in the previous question says it's already laterally supported, which is confusing in itself. Also, the answer references a page that again does not have a chart. Obviously I have to look for a different chart than the one used in the previous question. In which chart would I find this answer?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lindalou84

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS