Final Exam. Passed!!!!!!!!!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Final Exam. Passed!!!!!!!!!

Postby slf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:05 am

Passed!!!!!!!! This was my final exam. The day I got my results was seriously one of the happiest days of my life. Below is what we did to prepare for the Structures exam.

Thaddeus (I don't think I could have done it without this guy, worth the money for sure)
Ballast (Read all structural chapters plus wood, concrete, steel, soils)
Buildings at Risk (Seismic and Wind)
FEMA (chps 4, 5, 8, 9)
Archiflash cards
Qbank (online Kaplan quizzes, would do these during my lunch break at work)
Ballast, Kaplan, and Gang Chin Practice Exams
Pinterest
(Did not read Kaplan for this one)

I have been lucky enough to be able to study with my now husband (we got married in between test 4 and 5) for all exams which was a huge help, I would def suggest a study buddy. We spent almost 3 months studying for this exam. We started out reading Ballast (skipped over ALL the math problems, I would not even bother with these, Ballast def makes the math way more confusing than it needs to be) then FEMA/Thaddeus, had about a month after completing Thaddeus's videos to read more, take practice exams, and re-watch about 1/3 of his videos. We also made tons of flashcards.

The vignette was pretty straightforward. Thaddeus has a lecture on the vignette which was very helpful, watched it twice. We did the NCARB practice vignette and one of the Alts. Def the easiest vignette of all exams.

I felt like this exam was the least random of all the exams. Already taking BDCS was a huge help. Just take your time and make sure you read. I felt like I had an adequate amount of time to do the math problems as I got to them but you can also mark them and come back after you have gone through the entire exam. If I had to guess I would say I probably got 1/3 to 1/2 of the math q's right. It is important to really understand the concepts behind the equations, not just knowing how to do the calculations themselves. Thaddeus was a huge help for understanding the concepts. I know people have passed without watching his video's but I don't think I would have.

Before every exam I have always read through AREcoach to get tips/etc. for what to study. It has been a huge help, thank you to all for posting about your experiences. It took us a little over 2 years to complete all, including breaks. Our order of exams was: BS, BDCS, CDS, PPP, SPD, SD, SS. We both passed all 7 without one fail. It is an amazing feeling to be done.

Good luck to everyone, hang in there, you can do this!!!
slf

Re: Final Exam. Passed!!!!!!!!!

Postby alkali » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Congratulations and great team work!
alkali

Postby JDare » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Congrats!! I know the feeling. Its great to have your life back!

This was my last and final exam as well. I thought it was a fair assessment, didn't seem as random as other exams. Definitely some overlap with BDCS.
JDare

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Congrats!!! That's pretty cool that you and your husband got to study together! I'm sure the process brought you guys closer together! My boyfriend has been helping me just by explaining concepts, how it can sometimes play out differently in the field than what the study guides explain, and drawing little diagrams to explain some of the more complex detailing. (He's been licensed for 13 or so years so he's got way more experience than me!) I know the study time has actually been a fun thing to do together. (Can I call it 'fun'?!)

Thanks for the study list! I'm taking what will hopefully be the last one in about 2 weeks. :?
corbismyhomeboy

Postby slf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:04 am

Thank you all for such sweet comments! Good luck @corbismyhomeboy with this last one!!
slf

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS