Vignette completely different from practice?

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette completely different from practice?

Postby al_22 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:55 am

Did anyone else get blindsided by the Structures vignette? I've taken all of the tests, and every single time the vignette has been almost identical to the practice Kaplan ones, with some minor information/dimensions changed. The last time I took Structures however, it was completely different from the practice one. The layout was much more difficult and confusing. Just curious if it's happened to anyone else.
al_22

Re: Vignette completely different from practice?

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Mine was a lot different. It may take a few minutes to get your bearings but in the end, it's the same old stuff.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby introversed » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Is it possible to answer this question without violating NCARB's confidentiality agreement?
introversed

Postby remiller9 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Yep. The vignette was way harder than the practice one and left me with a bunch of questions. Hopefully this doesn't violate any posting rules.

1. Can you have a beam in the window wall? Or should you only have joists in window wall?
2. If you have a weird shaped building, can you have a situation where you have joists overlapping? Obviously you wouldn't have this in real life. But in this said weird shaped building, if you have an area of joists spanning 20' and next to it joists running parallel but only spanning 15', would it be ok for two joists to overlap where the two areas meet?
3. I read a comment about a beam being required under the clerestory. I thought you only need a beam only where the upper wall met lower roof. If Part of the clerestory wall was sticking out (half above a lower roof, half not above a lower roof), would you need a beam at the portion with no lower roof too?

Still waiting on my results. Have a bad feeling. :(
remiller9

Postby Coach » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 pm

remiller9 wrote:1. Can you have a beam in the window wall?

Why not?

2. If you have a weird shaped building, can you have a situation where you have joists overlapping? Obviously you wouldn't have this in real life. But in this said weird shaped building, if you have an area of joists spanning 20' and next to it joists running parallel but only spanning 15', would it be ok for two joists to overlap where the two areas meet?

Are you talking about this?
framing.jpg

No problem.

3. I read a comment about a beam being required under the clerestory.

Correct.

I thought you only need a beam only where the upper wall met lower roof.

That too.

If Part of the clerestory wall was sticking out (half above a lower roof, half not above a lower roof), would you need a beam at the portion with no lower roof too?

Yes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS