Practice Exams

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Practice Exams

Postby gcab » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:54 pm

I have 2weeks until I test for Structures. I've done the Thaddeus course, read FEMA and buildings at risk. I've done the NCARB practice questions. Im trying to figure out which practice tests I should focus my time on in the next 2 weeks. I have the Ballast Sample Questions & Practice Exam, The ALS Practice Exam, and the Kaplan Practice Exam and Practice Questions. I don't think I have time to them all and am planning on doing the Ballast ones. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should spend most of time until the 17th I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
gcab

Re: Practice Exams

Postby introversed » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Sounds like you have plenty of time. If you happen to have the Ballast study guide, I'd recommend going through that too (the non math portions of it) and touching on all the topics that weren't included in your other study material so far, just to make sure all your ground is covered.
introversed

Postby macjacket » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:58 am

I would focus more on concepts than math. I've taken this test twice (passed the test section twice, failed vignette twice somehow) and 75% of the test is concepts. Focus on wind & earthquake effects on buildings, foundation & framing systems, what type of building you would use in certain situations, soils, etc. before you get too involved with math questions. If you know these things, you can use them to your advantage on the math questions.
macjacket

Postby introversed » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:59 am

As far as math as concerned, the consensus on this forum seems to be that overturning moment questions seem to be the most important math questions. Study and practice those, getting a sense of the relationship between overturning moment and stabilizing moment, and get a sense of how adjusting their numbers (force, distance from axis) will affect them.
introversed

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS