Vignette Questions

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette Questions

Postby lesliediane » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 am

I wish I could post my alternate vignette here, but I don't have the right image editing software right now. Still, I have some questions:

1. On framing an exterior porch, is it acceptable to frame it by simply extending the beams and joist system that frame the interior adjacent rooms? Would you need a beam at the exterior wall? For example, in the NCARB practice, let's say the common area was the same height as the covered entry. Assuming beam spans were acceptable (no overhangs), could you extend the north and south beams to frame the porch and use the same joist system to cover both spaces? Or would you need a beam running north/south between the common area and the covered entry? I ask this, because on this particular alternate vignette, it seems the most economical.

2. If columns are spaced at 35' on center, would the span of the beam be 36' or 35'? (For programs with a limit on the span of the beam.)

3. Can beams go in the Window Wall?

Thanks.
lesliediane

Re: Vignette Questions

Postby introversed » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 am

You actually don't need special image software to post vignettes, you can do it with Microsoft Paint. Hit "print screen" while zoomed in on your vignette solution, then exit out of the vignette software, open up paint, and paste the screenshot in (ctrl+v). There you can crop and resize the image as needed, save as jpg, etc.

To answer question 1, I'm pretty sure that the NCARB software doesn't look at walls between roofed spaces of the same height, and you can extend beams & decking across without issue. As long as all the max. spans are taken care of.

2. Beams must connect to columns at their center-points, hence a 35' O.C. column spacing necessitates a 35' beam. I've never heard of a program with a stated limit on beam span (aside from the typical upper limit of around 40' or so, not mentioned explicitly in the vignette program)

3. Yes, as far as I know
introversed

Postby lesliediane » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:44 am

I just realized, I meant to say "If a column is 36' center to center" not 35'. I thought I saw a post where someone mentioned the span is actually shorter, (the span is only the part unsupported), but I could be mis-remembering. I was using an alternate vignette I found from a blog, so it's quite possible NCARB will never have a max span explicitly stated.

I have used Paint before, but I am on my parents' computer and I think they might have deleted Paint. Or at least I am having trouble finding it. Probably user error. I figured out I can post using Word and printing to pdf though, so I'll do that next time.
lesliediane

Postby lesliediane » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 am

I found the post where it said that. It was actually Coach--he said spans are measured face to face.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47507&p=162517&hilit=coach+span#p162517
lesliediane

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS