vignette attempt. thanks in advance for any comments

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

vignette attempt. thanks in advance for any comments

Postby the_metz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:48 pm

What the title says. I've seen other attempts where the joists over the covered entry run vertical like the reset of of the roofs, eliminating the 2 additional beams. Is there a benefit to that? And is there a rule of thumb for max joist lengths. I assume running them to the short length is the safest bet.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 4.30.41 PM copy.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 4.30.41 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the_metz

Re: vignette attempt. thanks in advance for any comments

Postby sedaigle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:26 pm

The rule of thumb for the exam is to keep joist span at 30'. You can span up to 35' but rarely is that necessary on this test. I don't think it's a matter of pass/fail but over the covered entry you can run the joists N/S because the span is only 26'. This would eliminate 1 beam not both. You need a beam wherever a lower roof is adjacent to an upper roof or where grey meets yellow.
I just watched the Coach video for this vignette. I have taken this test before but it was a few years ago. I found the video well worth the $30.
sedaigle

Re: vignette attempt. thanks in advance for any comments

Postby the_metz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks for the feedback. Didnt know about the lower roof - upper roof beam requirement. But it makes sense. Gonna look into the video as well.
the_metz

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS