Retake - Fail

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Retake - Fail

Postby AREctct » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Retook this one a couple of days ago after failing it the first time for Lateral Forces. The second time around was a little bit easier but I still found myself racing against the clock on both MC and the vignette. Had about 10 incomplete questions at the end with time to thoroughly answer a few. The rest were guessed. Not sure about this one but I'm hoping the conjunctive scoring helps me overcome those remaining calcs I couldn't get to.... lots of OTmoment questions.

Things I studied the first time were:

Thaddeus 2x
Both BR readings
Archiflash
Jennnys notes
Designer Hacks - weren't that helpful for this exam

Second time Around :

Selected FEMA chapters
Ballast
BR wind
Mikes notes
Marty's notes
Archiflash
Kaplan mock exam
Mitalski exam

Hoping for a pass since this is the last one!!
Last edited by AREctct on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AREctct

Re: Retake -

Postby introversed » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Only having 10 "WTF" question is pretty damn good, IMO.

If you don't already know this, about 15-20 of the MC questions don't count towards your score at all. Those are planned 2018 MC questions slipped in by NCARB and you were beta-testing them, unbeknownst to you. NCARB likes to keep their exams fresh over time with new questions, but they put those questions through a trial phase first, seeing if candidates score well on them. This usually accounts for the "WTF questions" people often encounter.
introversed

Postby AREctct » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am

There were more than 10 WTF questions. I had about 10 calculation based questions left until the end that I couldn't pay full attention to because time was scarce. Like you mentioned I hope most of those fall into the 10-15 practice based questions!! I would hate to take this exam a third time, ahhhh!

I read around and passing scores can range anywhere between 59-77%, based on conjunctive scoring. If your total score is above the threshold passing percentage for that exam you receive a pass, if not, you will find yourself being searched by the Prometric personnel again..
AREctct

Postby introversed » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:28 am

Of course, the passing grade will always be a secret
introversed

Postby AREctct » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

Just found out I passed everything but the vignette! Very frustrating for me to encounter this on a retake of what is supposed to be my last ARE. Seems like NCARB wants to hang on and keep squeezing funds.

I was pretty certain I passed the Vignette, does anyone have experience contesting a score?
AREctct

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS