Sajjad Alt - Testing tomorrow

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Sajjad Alt - Testing tomorrow

Postby danegel » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 am

I couldnt find the program for the Alt so I used parameters from the NCARB example and assumed a clerestory on the west or east wall of the double height cafeteria.

Could someone please comment?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danegel

Re: Sajjad Alt - Testing tomorrow

Postby Teri28 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 am

Place a beam on the lower level framing between the server & cafeteria. Refer to NCARBs latest reference guide on this for the vignette. Something has gone wrong with your upper level joist framing spacing. They are way to far apart but they look correct where they are visible from your lower lever. GL
Teri28

Postby danegel » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 am

Is the beam hat is seperating the cafeteria from the servery supporting the wall above? The reason why I am asking is, "if" there was a wall on the lower floor, would a beam still be required since walls support their own weight?

thanks
danegel

Postby Teri28 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:51 am

I wish I understood the reasoning behind this more but yes, to support the wall above. here is a screenshot from the most recent NCARB guide (someone else pointed out in another post) that shows a beam in this similar condition. Rule of thumb, grey touches yellow = beam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teri28

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS