Sajjad Alt- Testing Thursday!

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Sajjad Alt- Testing Thursday!

Postby iei515 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 pm

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this alt. I understand the clerestory window requirement #11 (in red below) to mean that you must place a beam along the full length of the clerestory window on both levels, but I have a question about requirement #9 (in purple below). When the program lists "window walls extend to underside of structure above"... how does that make itself manifest in the steel framing solution? Would we treat that wall differently if the program said "Window walls do not extend to underside of structure above?"

Thanks for your help!!

Program as follows:
Construction/ Materials
1. Structural steel/open web steel joists construction has been chosen for the roof structure type.
2. Steel beam sections are to be rolled or built-up.
3. The metal roof is capable of carrying loads on spans up to and including 5-ft.
General requirements
1. All portions of the roof framing are flat.
2. Cantilevers are prohibited.
3. Structural members must not extend into spaces adjacent to the program area.
4. Columns may be located within walls, including the window wall and any clerestory window wall.
5. Walls shown on the background floor plans may be designated as bearing walls.
6. Lintels must be shown at all openings in bearing walls.
7. The opening located between the Sajjad Yoga Hall and Lug-Nut’s Aerobics Hall must be unobstructed and column free.
8. The Sajjad Yoga Hall, Lug-Nut’s Aerobics and Damn NCARB Treadmill Room be column-free.
9. Window walls extend to the underside of the structure above.
10. The roof over the high ceiling space must be higher than the roof over the low-ceiling spaces.
• The Sajjad Yoga Hall and lug-nut aerobic hall requires a high ceiling with a top of structure height of 18 feet.
• The remaining spaces require a high ceiling with a top of structure height of 12 feet.
11. The structure must accommodate 2 clerestory windows at the following locations;
North wall of lug-nut aerobic hall.
West wall of Sajjad yoga hall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iei515

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS