Vignette attempt with all steel

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette attempt with all steel

Postby danegel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Not sure if this is recommended or not but I tried to complete the vignette with just steel. Could someone offer some feedback?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danegel

Re: Vignette attempt with all steel

Postby VCArchitect » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:28 am

only do a steel solution on D day.
you posted two lower plans?
work with the upper solution; it's more correct. next time give an upper plan and then a lower plan.
on lower level plan eliminate that beam on south wall of common area where it extends beyond the double ht space; no need as exterior upper wall supports itself to the ground.
VCArchitect

Postby djames20 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:50 am

Good catch VCArchitect, I have just done the same vignette and had added the same beam that you recommended to remove. I have the exact same layout as the first plan you have posted danegel. The lower plan, you have an extra column between the two double doors of the cafeteria area that you do not need.
djames20

Postby danegel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Thank you very much for the feedback...Just so I know I understand. The beam on the south side of the common space that extends on the left is not supporting any roof or joists so it is not needed correct?

Thanks again, I am testing on thursday I will post the alt tonight.
danegel

Postby djames20 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:35 pm

That is correct. I believe the program states that there are no lateral loads. So, the only thing that beam would be doing would be to resist against lateral loads. The vignettes are only looking at resisting gravity loads.
djames20

Postby jhesterm » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Also, just an FYI, according to others on this site, you should basically have a beam wherever your yellow meets your grey. This includes the covered entry even if your joists are parallel to it. Don't ask me why, just have heard people who don't put it in are failing and people who put it in are passing.
jhesterm

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS