Alternate Vignette - Please Review

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Alternate Vignette - Please Review

Postby t-money » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Please let me know you find anything out of order. The joist spacing in the upper level Reception area is 5'-0", everywhere else is 3'-6". I have also placed a beam for the clerestory windows on the east and west walls of the Cafeteria, respectively. Since the program didn't specify, I assume the clerestory is on the lower level (the practice NCARB vignette has similar language; however, the configuration of the two levels makes it clear that the clerestory is on the upper level.

The structure must accommodate (2) clerestory windows. One shall be located along the full length of the West wall of the Western Cafeteria. One shall be located along the full length of the East wall of the Eastern Cafeteria.

Please let me know what you think, and what your thoughts on assuming the location of the clerestory window.

Thanks!

Lower Level - Alt..jpg

Upper Level - Alt..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t-money

Re: Alternate Vignette - Please Review

Postby iei515 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I just tried this one as well and seems tricky. I do not believe that you need the outer beams to extend all the way to the back window wall on the lower level. I may be mistaken- but assume that columns are adequate to carry the loads down from the upper level. I equate this to the scenario in the original vignette in which there is no beam on the south west corner of common area on the lower level. Any one have thoughts on this?
iei515

Re: Alternate Vignette - Please Review

Postby t-money » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 am

Right- in the NCARB solution you are not supporting a clerestory window.

In this exercise, you have to support the clerestory window that runs the full length of both of those walls, that is why I believe it's necessary to support the clerestory on the top and bottom...
t-money

WHERE ARE THE ALTERNATES?

Postby cogroh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Where can i find the link to download the alternate vignettes?

THANKS!!!!!!!!
cogroh

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS