Buildings at Risk

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Buildings at Risk

Postby saltone » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Can someone please point me in the correct direction as to which Buildings at Risk I should be reading? I see multiples.

Thanks
saltone

Re: Buildings at Risk

Postby mariavaldesign » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:34 pm

There are three to be exact:

1. B@R: Seismic Design
2. B@R: Wind Design
3. B@R: Multihazard for Earthquakes, Winds and Floods.

I'd read all three when studying.
mariavaldesign

Postby K10 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:12 am

I was not aware there is more than one book. If I have time to go over only one, which one would you suggest? I have already read FEMA and I have done Thaddeus online lectures. Also, are the Kaplan chapters on seismic and wind forces worth reading? Thanks
K10

Postby Grymatta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:19 am

If you only have time to go over one..I would do the BAR Wind. Though the BAR wind book is pretty short..you could possibly read Wind and skim thru BAR Seismic to reinforce your earthquake knowledge.

I would say that the Kaplan chapters on seismic and wind are worth reading if you have the time..

good luck.
Grymatta

Postby K10 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks Grymata. I think you took your test, right? Goodluck! I am sure you will pass. I don't know if you have shared your thoughts about the exam. Judging from your earlier posts I think you had a good grasp about the subject and I would love to know what you felt was the best study material that was the most useful while answering the test? I have two weeks left before I take the exam.

Also, I keep hearing about questions in the exam like- What building systems you will use if so and so condition exists. But other than FEMA and somewhat Thaddeus lectures I didn't find study material on such topics.

Please let me know. Thank you.
K10

Postby Grymatta » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 am

thanks K10, I did take my test but am still waiting for my results. I am getting nervous with each passing day and dread the moment when I have to open the NCABR webpage to find out the results. I have no idea if I passed or not, I'm pretty sure I got my butt kicked on those multistep calculation problems. My exam was pretty much what everyone else has posted. Lots of lateral, know your overturning and sliding, shear walls, diaphragms, etc. Also lots of material from FEMA and BAR.

Yes, questions about selecting the best systems for any particular situation seem to come up too. The best way to prepare for those is to review your BDCS material/notes to understand the basic steel, concrete, wood systems. then you need to apply structures principles to those systems. I found a few charts in the areforums index/database that had a basic breakdown of construction systems and their pros/cons/limits. Like what the different types of concrete spanning systems are and their average span lengths, max span lengths, etc. There's a section of it in Jennys notes too I think. Other than those charts, I think FEMA and BAR would be your best resources to study for that type of question. Concentrate on the case studies presented in those books.

The best material I used was the Mitalski self paced videos. They did an excellent job of teaching me the basic concepts and helping me understand the problems. They are probably similar to the Thaddeus ones you used. The Kaplan Q & A book and the practice questions that came with the Mitalski videos also helped me prepare.

Two weeks is still alot of time to prepare. I was basically living and breathing SS during my final two weeks. I would come home from work and just study till bedtime. I would sit down at starbucks and do Kaplan QandA for like 8 hours straight during the weekends. But it all depends on each individual; I'm pretty bad at structures so I need to work twice as hard to understand it. Hopefully I can share some good news about my exam with the forum soon.

Anyways, good luck with your exam. Remember to get a good night's sleep and eat a well balanced meal before going into the test!
Grymatta

Postby K10 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:12 am

Grymata, I am pretty much the same when it comes to structures. Thanks for all the tips. This will help me shortlist study material for the next few days. I am so overwhelmed with everything there is to read. I feel i have a a good overall knowledge of the lateral concepts but I keep messing up on the calculation problems(always my weakness). I have to get better at general construction concepts and I was not taking that too seriously so I appreciate your comments .
2 questions please:
1. When you say know your sliding, are you talking about shear calculation problems or shear theory or something else?
2. Do you recommend reviewing IBC 16? Rich's notes has some general concepts from IBC that I have read.
3. Regarding general concepts- I have not taken BDCS yet but I am reading Rich's and Jenny's notes? Will that be enough? The other notes that you mentioned Is that Mike-SE's notes? If not, can you please fwd it? Thanks

Thanks again in advance for you help. I am sure you will pass and please let us know. I will be doing BDCS next after this. What about you?
K10

Postby Grymatta » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:29 am

K10,

I think the most important thing to do is to take a breath and consider the big picture(concepts) and not get too hung up on something like memorizing every single forumula. I also took 2 days off from work to prepare my mindset for the test and to calm my jitters.

Make sure you understand all the concepts/theory behind the formulas and be able to extrapolate why it is used. An example would be something like F = Ma. Understand that if you increase the mass or acceleration or both..then the F (force) is going to increase too. Even without doing the math, you should know that. Stuff like that.

1. Sliding as in what resisting moment or force you would need to prevent a retaining wall or building from sliding when an external force is applied to it.

2. I didn't get a chance to review IBC 16 but if you have time, I think it is a good idea to skim it. I think it would be good if you are unfamiliar with code or the vocabulary/terms. For instance, alot of people use the terms raft foundation interchangably with mat foundations. However, IBC Chapter 16 does make a distinction between those two in their definitions. Things like that if you're looking to beef up your code knowledge.

3. Do you have a copy of Ching's Building Structures Illustrated? If not, Rich, Jenny, and Mike SE notes should do. I read Mike's Guides religiously..they are very helpful in getting an innate grasp of the concepts. Also, hop over to the BDCS section and see what references they recommend for studying BDCS. Maybe start getting those resources since you're going to use them soon. Except for certain books, all the study material I got was from this forum. Or free from FEMA or AIA (BAR series).

Good luck on your studies and exam. don't stress too much over it, you can always take it over again; its not the end of the world if you don't pass the first time around. It seems you are pretty diligent in preparing for SS, so you should do fine.
I am still waiting for my results, its been about 10 days now and counting. Every day is so nerve-wracking because SS was my last exam for the entire ARE series. It would be the best Xmas present ever if I could share some good news with my friends, family, and forum members! :)
Grymatta

Postby K10 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for answering. I will try to follow your method. I do not have the Ching's book but I have Mike-SE notes which I plan to go over. Thanks a lot for outlining so well what is imp. I wish you luck and I do hope you receive the best news this christmas! Thanks again.
K10

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS