1st vignette attempt + question

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

1st vignette attempt + question

Postby iei515 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:08 pm

1st stab at the vignette- testing in 2 weeks.

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked... but I am wondering what is the benefit of using one type of framing system over another in the vignette. Mitalski uses a combination of bearing wall/column+beam systems on both levels , Jenny's notes only mention column + beam system, while others vary the systems by roof level. What is the consensus on these approaches? In the attached vignette, I used column + beam on upper level and bearing walls on lower level- though am not sure there is any benefit to doing so.

Thanks for your help and feedback!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iei515

Re: 1st vignette attempt + question

Postby Mike-SE » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:07 pm

The goal is to pass the vignette. A certain number of errors cause you to fail. You pass by making fewer errors than that number. BUT nobody outside NCARB knows how many errors are allowed, Therefore you want to minimize the possibility of errors. Using an all steel frame system has a lower probability of error of using a mix of steel frame and loadbearing wall system. I do not believe there is an vignette that allows for an all loadbearing wall solution.
Mike-SE

Postby rktekt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:19 am

In the DORF solution manual it states, the requirements will allow an all steel solution. Seems easier to me.
rktekt

Postby MBlaine » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:01 pm

I just took the David Thaddeus course, he STRONGLY recommended to solve the vignette without bearing walls. He had many reasons, but basically it just makes the vignette easier to solve. So don't use bearing walls (unless the program specifically requires it.)

Also, you have an extra beam in the lower level, south west corner of the common area. It's not supporting anything so it's not needed.
MBlaine

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS