Vignette First Try -testing Tuesday

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

Vignette First Try -testing Tuesday

Postby recorcholis » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi!!!

Would it be possible to take a look at my solution? Comments appreciated ;)

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.59.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 8.57.56 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
recorcholis

Re: Vignette First Try -testing Tuesday

Postby t-money » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 pm

I am relatively new to this Vignette, but here are a few things I noticed:

1. I think you can eliminate the columns on the upper level and lower level on the north wall between Shop 1 and Shop 2. The beams can span the distance just fine without those columns.

2. On the upper level, you are showing a column between the toilet room and the seating area. You do not need this column, and you are also not showing a column supporting it on the lower level.

3. On the lower level, check the spacing of your joists. Something looks off between your three bays.

Good luck!
t-money

Postby rktekt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:46 am

Hi,

Do you think the n-s beam above the entrance doors at the covered porch is necessary?

Under General requirements of the program I feel it may not be warranted.
6. Lintels are required to be shown in bearing walls only. Other lintels shall not be indicated.

If feel like if you add a beam here, you might as well add one above the west window wall too.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
rktekt

Postby MBlaine » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:07 pm

rktekt wrote:Hi,

Do you think the n-s beam above the entrance doors at the covered porch is necessary?

6. Lintels are required to be shown in bearing walls only. Other lintels shall not be indicated.

If feel like if you add a beam here, you might as well add one above the west window wall too.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, You do need that beam above the entrance, because you need to put a beam everywhere the second level touches the first level. Do this only on the first level, not the second. So in this case, beam over the entry is required. I had this question as well, found this answer on the forum and from David Thaddeus course.
MBlaine

Postby MBlaine » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Level 1: You're missing a beam between the Prep and Stor and Covered entry, and another beam between the covered entry and the Shop 1. You have too many columns on south wall of common area. Beams span up to 40'. Joists span up to 30'.

Level 2: Too many columns.
MBlaine

Postby rktekt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:10 pm

MBlaine wrote:
rktekt wrote:Hi,

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, You do need that beam above the entrance, because you need to put a beam everywhere the second level touches the first level. Do this only on the first level, not the second. So in this case, beam over the entry is required. I had this question as well, found this answer on the forum and from David Thaddeus course.

Thank you!
rktekt

Postby Grymatta » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 am

Hopefully you get this before your exam..

You need to make sure that all your columns on the upper floor continue down to the lower floor.

You have a column on the upper floor, between the Toilet and Seating area. That column does not carry down to the lower floor.
Grymatta

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS