1st Try at Vignette, Testing Monday

Structural Layout Vignette and Multiple Choice

1st Try at Vignette, Testing Monday

Postby Grymatta » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi all. Here is my first take at the NCARB vignette. I haven't practiced in a while so I would appreciate any comments. I do remember the "beam under clerestory" rule but I was wondering about the window wall. The program says that the window wall also extends to the underside of the structure above so I'm thinking I need a beam there at the ground floor also?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - I saw another posted vignette that had a beam on the first floor, where the Common Area meets the Covered Entry. Can someone explain the reasoning for putting a beam there? Is it necessary?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grymatta

Re: 1st Try at Vignette, Testing Monday

Postby Architeer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

FF:

You don't need one of the columns on the north side of the large high space. (Can't see it when I'm typing).

You need a beam to the west side of the porch to hold clerestory.

Remove beam from the window wall on the west.

You can also center the column on the most south wall.
Architeer

Postby Grymatta » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Architeer wrote:FF:

You don't need one of the columns on the north side of the large high space. (Can't see it when I'm typing).

You need a beam to the west side of the porch to hold clerestory.

Remove beam from the window wall on the west.

You can also center the column on the most south wall.

Thanks Architeer.
I'm still confused about the beam in the west side of the porch. This is the wall between the common area and the covered entry? The program doesn't mention a clerestory in that wall. Only the north wall has a clerestory. Or is the beam needed there to support the upper wall from above?
Grymatta

Postby Bazocrat » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:11 am

Yes, the beam is to support the wall above. Sketch yourself a little blocked section running east/west through the covered porch and part way into the common area. The scale is not relevant. There is a small section of wall running from the upper roof to the lower roof where the two spaces meet. Even though the joists for both spaces may be running parallel to this section of wall and don't bear on it, it is still an unsupported wall hanging in mid air and the program says the joists are sized to carry roof loads only, not walls, so even though you can imagine a joist running underneath this portion of wall in the covered porch, it cannot bear the wall.
A bit of advice I heard someone say in a post and I wrote it down at the top of my sketch paper before I started the vignette in my exam, place a beam where yellow meets grey.
When you are on the first floor layer, you will see the upper roof is gray and the lower roof becomes yellow when you put the joists and decking on it. If there is an area where yellow meets grey, (lower roof meets upper roof), you need support at that union. The reason you don't need it where the high roof area is on an exterior wall is because it is not a clerestory, it is just a high wall. A clerestory requires an upper roof and a lower roof below it. Without that it's just a tall wall up to the upper roof.
Good luck.
Bazocrat

Postby Grymatta » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:37 am

Ahh..that makes sense now Bazocrat. I had a suspicion that it involved the covered porch entry joists bearing on the wall. The section helped me to visualize it better.
Thanks!
Grymatta

Postby rktekt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 am

This is something new I have not heard. Can someone else please comment on their experience with this.
What you say makes sense for real world application, but most of this vignette doesn't, so Im confused now lol.

Thanks!
rktekt

Return to SS - STRUCTURAL SYSTEMS